It Lives! ?'s about Tires, headlight, signals, h/bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Lives! ?'s about Tires, headlight, signals, h/bar

This is a long one with several questions. Feel free to only answer what you want. All info is appreciated.

After a thorough carb rebuild and tank derusting I started my "free" 1978 GS1000 E Saturday. To my knowledge it had not run since 1990, but with very little help from the choke, it started right up. First test run indicates there is a lot of life left in it.

Now the fun and real work start.

I removed and binned a Honda fairing that had been grafted on. I think I have all of the headlight mounts and pieces. But I am confused because my parts breakdown and Clymer manual are different with respects to the headlight. The P/B shows an H-4 style bulb and the Clymer shows a sealed unit with little wire clips holding it in. Also, there is a hole about the size of a silver dollar in the back of the H/L housing, should that have a rubber grommet or something to cover it?

Turn signals-I need a right front. Are signals from all GS's of the era the same? They look to be. Are many parts interchangeable between GS 550s, 750s and 1000s?

What are the dimensions of the stock handlebar? I think mine is stock, but can't be sure. I need a lower one with a little less pullback. I don't want to be laying on the tank mind you, but having dimensions will greatly aid in ordering.

I need tires! This was the worst part of the test ride as you can imagine the balance and flat spot issues that ensued from sitting so long. I haven't found a good result in the "Search" feature on a good sport/touring tire with good milage. What do you all recommend?

As always, thanks for the help. It is invaluable on a job like this.

Your bike had a h4 headlamp assembly when it was new. You can see it here http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm choose 1978, then GS1000e then headlamp gs1000e.
    Turn signals are the same for the 1000 & the 750 (77-79) & 850G (79-80) When in doubt, compare parts numbers
    There are a lot of good choices for tires. I have Pirelli Sport Demons on my 1000
    I like them a lot.
    Handle bars are a matter of personal taste. I prefer "superbike" bars. IMHO, the stock GS bars belong on a wheel barrel !

Terry
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2006, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Hmmmmm

I checked out alpha-sports.com and it appears my setup is from the 850 of the same year. May have been a parts issue or a running change with Suzuki, who knows.Neither parts list shows a rubber grommet or hole plug in the buck where the wires come through. The hole just seems so big and open and dust collecting for a few wires. What gives?

Yeah, bars are a personal thing, and I agree about the wheel barrow, especially since I am only about 5'7", those things are apehanders. Of course that might get me in with the "Hardly" crowd.That is why I am searching for the stock measurements, it might make it easier to mail order one because dealers seldom stock enough to help. Does 29.5 Wide x 4.5 Rise x 9.5 Pullback x 5 center sound right?

Any more tire suggestions?

Comment

Handlebar specs & prices here: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
        Also here: http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog...000EC-1978-BF0
        Both places have great reputations.

Comment

I might have to challenge the statement that all the signal lights are the same. Last year on the way to Colorado, we hit some rather large bumps on the freeway in Oklahoma, which bounced the back of the 850 enough to break the mount of the left rear signal. No idea where we left it, but it's somewhere in Oklahoma. When we got to Colorado, we found a cycle salvage yard that had some GSs. There was only one signal that was useable AND had the mount that had broken off the frame, and it came off a GS1000, don't know what year or model, as most of the bodywork was missing. Even though it was larger than the others, we got it and put it on so we had signals on both sides.

I have now replaced it with one that matches the others. I just measured them, the originals on my '82 GS850GL are about 3 inches in diameter. The one I got in Colorado is about 3 3/4 inches in diameter. Surly, if you are interested in it, you can have it for the cost of shipping. It is not perfect, but it works. I can send you pictures, if you like.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Read my post carefully, Steve. I said 850G (not GL) to 81 (not 82) I also said to check the part numbers to be sure. Good thing I did, because they changed in 1980!

Comment

Send me a pic

Hi Steve:
              If it isn't too much trouble, send me some pics of the signal and I'll compare.
              My signals are about 8" long, including the mounting stud. They have an amber round lens with a diameter of about 3-1/2".

If it is the same I'll take it off your hands.

Thanks a bunch.

Justin (Surly)

Comment

Working...
              X