How many Clutch plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many Clutch plates?

I just took my clutch apart to measure the steel plates in case they need replacing as well. They are within specs. How many fiber plates and steel plates should there be? I have 10 fiber plates in their?? is that right?
    1980 GS1000G...
    Thanks1
    Ken

Do you have the Clymer's manual for it??

Comment

The OEM specification for your bike is 9 steel plates and 9 friction discs. If there are 10 each in your bike, a previous owner must have installed an aftermarket kit with an increased component count.

Comment

I have a Clymers manual for a Gs100G.Possibly the worst manual I have in my collection! The pic they have of the clutch setup is from a 850!

I was under the assumption that it was 9 and 9 from the factory diagram on BikeBandit.com . The fiber plates are .040 to thin! Almost gone! Looks like someone threw in some extra plates to compensate. that is why the clutch drags and slips both!!
        Thanks guys!
        Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
          The OEM specification for your bike is 9 steel plates and 9 friction discs. If there are 10 each in your bike, a previous owner must have installed an aftermarket kit with an increased component count.
          True.

I remember Barnett included one extra of each with thier kits.
          It's not unusual to find and extra plate.

How did the springs look? They can add to the slipping effect.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
          X