dunlop K491

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dunlop K491

Has anyone not liked these tires ? I changed some old 391s for 491s and noticed a little head shake. I also needed to change front brake rotors and came accross an entire front assembly. Rotors,Wheel and tire. So I took off the front wheel with the 491 on it and put the "new" used tire and wheel on and the shake goes away. The "new" used tire is looking a little tired after about a year so I put the matching 491 back on the "new" used wheel and the head shake reappears. ??? Bad tire? The guy who re mounted the 491 said it had a wobble when he balanced it. The shake is between 45-50mph. How do I explain this to the shop where I bought the 491s. I thinks me SOL.
    Dave
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

I have personally used K491 Elites and the newer Elite IIs on my bike, and I really like the longevity and performance.

Headshake can can caused be several things, e.g., tire pressure, balance, loose steering head bearings, wheel alignment, etc. Does it occur when you let go of the bars and are slowing down, or what?

Comment

It does sound like your particular Dunlop 491 was a defective tire or badly mounted.

I've been very impressed with mine, and they are sort of the standard tire for a GS. Very long life and excellent grip, although they are somewhat stiff and wooden feeling. They also seem to wear more gracefully than other tires -- after 11,500 miles, mine are visibly worn and nearly worn out, but they are not badly flat spotted or misbehaving in any way. I still have complete confidence in hard cornering with them.

Defects happen, even with the best tire brands, and whoever mounted the tire in the first place could have bungled the job by not seating the bead properly or harmed the tire. Too bad you couldn't catch the problem in time to return the tire.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ruddy,
        Yes, Thanks for the reply. Coming down through 50-45mph, hands light on the bars, she starts a shaking. The 491 did this on a different wheel and now on the current wheel and the Metz did not. Im gonna try another 491. Hope Im not chasing my tail.
        Dave
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks Bwringer,
          The new 491 is on the way. $130 mounted and balanced at Leo's in Lakeville, MN. I hope this works!!
          Dave
          82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Got the new 491 on and it still shakes between 45-50mph. ??? Wait a minute.....I tightened the head bearings and the shakes go away. Anyone want to buy a slightly used Dunlop 491 RWL? Next project is my highspeed wobble problem. Swingarm bearings, Shocks,...??? Any help out there?
            82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Working...
            X