cracked side cover - any repair tips appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cracked side cover - any repair tips appreciated

It feels like a soft plastic so I don't think epoxy will bond to it. Should I try a plastic cement like you would use on a plastic model? I'm thinking a little plastic cement with a piece of plastic to span the crack and reinforce it.

I fixed my brothers headlight for his VFR with Steel Putty (or a name something like that). It is a roll of two different materials, you cut off what you need and then Knead it together. It sticks like crazy to plastic and is rock hard in like 15 minutes (plan on a dremel tool to shape it or anything). It was used to put two mounting tabs in place (broke the plastic free) and they have not moved yet (they hold the fairing in place).

I would rough up the back side with coarse sandpaper and push the putty across the crack.

I am not sure they type of plastic, but you could have it plastic welded depending on the type.

Comment

Stop-drill the crack, and strategically place a couple of small wire ties to hold it together (run through small holes drilled on either side of the crack). Might not look too bad, depending on the color of your cover and wire ties used, and the location and length of the crack. More function than form though.

Comment

Or, take some metal repair tape and apply it to the inside of the cover over the crack. Not messy at all.

Comment

Working...
        X