Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious

I must of owned over 15 suzukis in the last three years since I started this hobby. Now most of them from memory , did leak gas or just spill it on the ground if the petcock didn't have a shut off valve. I have run across some old Kaws that did it too. I have a Gs I tore down at least ten times this weekend too get the third carb too work. Which it is finally now working. But I noticed a puddle of gas this morning where there wasnt one before.

Not on prim but reserve.

Ok what causes this too happen. I know it goes away on its own sometimes. I don't see it usally happening when its running. So explain too me what causes that too happen too these older bikes. Is it the bleeder screw? Can't be the float height. Those are set too standard settings. 24 mm. Bad gas?? I do know this one tank did at one time have rust in her.

Bad float needle and seat, bad o-rings in the connecting Ts, leaky petcock. That should about cover it.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

that must be why on these older bikes I see alot of shutoff valves then. That does make sense. It usally goes into the overflow tubes and onto the ground. I seen alot of the gs's over the years with shut off valves too the petcock.

Thanks.

Comment

It is most often the vaccum diaphragm in the petcock that fails in the GS's. You must know what I am taking about Cyg? The petcock is vaccum operated, that is, there is a small vaccum line that attaches to the intake manifold (or output manifold on the carbs). The diaphragm fails, and gas leaks directly down the vaccum line in front of the carbs where it pools up and eventually leaks into the airbox.

A Pingle fuel tap is a good upgrade. If you use a common shut off valve, make sure the valve is no smaller than 5/16" ID.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
        X