Bike won't stay running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike won't stay running!

...after i remove it from the charger or jump. i put a brand new battery in it- after trying to use the battery that was in it- with the same result. it will run fine but, it won't stay running once a jumping source is removed. Any suggestions? Things to look for? Any help at all would be great... because I'm no mechanic. I'm gong to have to clean the carbs next, but first I have to get the bike to my place. It's still at the sellers location! This is a GS1100GK, 1983, not at all stock!

There are several possibilities:

1. Your charging system (or other electrical component) may have a short that heats up after a bit and robs all your juice so that bike won't fire the plugs. When you have that extra jump source it overcomes this deficiency. So detach the charging system, headlight and tail-light (your bike will run for several hours on a fully charged battery with lights off) and see what happens.
    2. You're not connecting the battery properly (loose and/or dirty connection).
    3. One or both of the coils are on the verge of failure and won't provide a strong enough spark with "normal" current. In general, weak coils will fire better if the bike is being jumped from a non-running car.

Comment

Thanks! It's going to be 101 today so if I know what to look for, I might not get heatstroke. I was looking at coils and wires last night, but in the Clymer's nor the shop manual could i find if the coils were inductive or capacitive. I don't think I saw a CDI box, so I'm guessing they're inductive. Anyone out there know?

Comment

Where did you connect the charging/jump starting cables? Did you check that the ground cable (-) from battery is really connected to frame?
        Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2006, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Positive to the battery/positive cable and negative to the frame. I didn't check that the negative actually connected to the frame.

Comment

That could be the reason, as long as you are connected through cables, the system is grounded, when you remove the cables ad if the battery is not grounded, you would have no voltage.

Comment

Get a multitester and determine the voltage of your battery. If it's below 12 volts, you got a problem. It should be well above that.

Did you trickle charge the battery first after you got it? Sounds like it can't power anything by itself.

ps - if it's an '83, it's a CDI ignition (if that's what you're asking).
              Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2006, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devillox
                Positive to the battery/positive cable and negative to the frame. I didn't check that the negative actually connected to the frame.
                clean the ground cable from battery to frame ground, that should take care of it.I dont know where that is on the 1000 but shouldnt be hard to find.

Comment

thanks... that's what i wanted to know. so the accel coil part is 140404? anyone else put those on? how did they work?

Comment

The ground was the problem! All fixed up and roaring to go... Thanks so much! Hopefully when I get the coils, it will show even more improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace
                      ps - if it's an '83, it's a CDI ignition (if that's what you're asking).
                      just got my new accel coils... and they're the wrong ones! i couldn't find a CDI box in any of the manuals or wiring diagrams... so thanks for the wrong info!
                      advice to any newbies... always do a search of the forum!

Comment

Working...
                      X