82 650L charging issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 650L charging issues

Not sure where to begin but here it goes>couple of weeks ago my 650 died on my way to work of a dead battery.Charged the battery up, bike fired up
    and rode it home.Ran the no load stator test 80volts +,so then ran the voltage regulator test 12 volts which according to the manuel indicates a bad regulator.so I ordered a aftermarket through bike bandit,got it in couple days threw it in.So heres the problem I am still only getting 12.1 - 12.5 volts at the battery.This seems to be enough voltage to run the bike on but not enough volts to keep the battery charged.So at this point I am not sure how to proceed.
    It was suggested to me that possibly I have a short or somthing is drawing more voltage then it should be.Any thoughts,suggestions,how to proceed?
    Thanks, Marc

Clean ALL the connections between the stator and the battery, make sure they are TIGHT, and try again.

The list of connections includes (but is not limited to):
    * three stator wires to the regulator
    * ground wire to regulator
    * battery wire to regulator
    * ground wire from battery to chassis and engine

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve I went ahead and did those and reran my tests.Well now it started showing that the stator was bad to the point I lost voltage on all the generator wires,so I guess I smoked her but good.
      Marc

Comment

I am having the same problem on my 78 gs750. Have not changed the r/r though. Am going straight to the stator. It will take a couple days to arrive, but when it does I will post my findings.

Would running the bike in this condition harm the r/r or any other parts?

Comment

Working...
        X