Floppy gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floppy gas tank?

The tank on my 78 GS1000E has some lateral movement, enough to cause it to rub the frame occasionally. Any cures other than replacing the two forward mounts and the rear?

Either it's the wrong tank or your rubber mounts have shrunk beyond hope. Replace all the rubber, even the ones at the bolt on. They are cheap. Try wrapping tape around the round rubber mounts to help them fit snugger
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's also possible that the distance between the two inner-sides of the tank frame tunnel, have been pushed away from each other after many tank removals and re-installs. It's an easy fix...grab a couple of adhesive-backed rubber furniture-savers at the hardware store, and stick them on the outer faces of the forward rubber isolators. My 1000 had same problem...only my problem came from the bike being dropped on it's tank. : (
      Hugh

Comment

For the rear tank rubbers at the bolts I use big rubber bottle stoppers that I can get at ACE hardware. Cut them in half, drill a hole through the center and you have a new tank rubber for $.59! You can even adjust the height to work perfectly with your seat and side covers.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
          Either it's the wrong tank or your rubber mounts have shrunk beyond hope. Replace all the rubber, even the ones at the bolt on. They are cheap. Try wrapping tape around the round rubber mounts to help them fit snugger
          Wrap severall layers of electrical tape around the OD of the rubber discs to create a tight fit with the tank

Comment

Working...
          X