Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought new 1980 GS1100e

Well, I only have this forum to blame... :-D

Having found this site when I bought a 1982 GS650G a couple of years ago, I was bitten by the mod bug (same bug that means none of my cars are stock). Did a lot of research on what you all were doing to your bikes, but after hitting the shaft drive modification roadblock, I wistfully dreamt of a chain drive bike.

Lo and behold, I came across a two month old ad for a GS1100 on craigslist. Shot the owner an email without much hope, but it turned out that the guy had posted the ad and then left town. Sold!! For $1400 CDN, a beeyootiful 1100 with Hindle 4-1 and K&N's was now mine.

Man, what a ride! My 650 is in pretty sad tune, and the difference between the bikes is like night and day... I'm totally stoked, as the GSXR front end conversion I bought from Katman (thanks rob) will look oh so good on this bike, as will the 180 rear that I'm planning.

So if my wife comes looking for you lot, don't say I didn't warn you... :razz:

Haha... forgot the technical question - the bike has instant on-off throttle response - seems too jerky to me. Would this be a carb sync issue, or drivetrain? Any suggestions on how to identify/correct the problem? Thx!

Comment

Sounds like you have individual air pods and a stage 3 jet kit. You could install an orginal air box and go to a stage 1 jet kit. That should smooth out the throttle responce.

The Beast

Comment

try higher rpm's before shifting?That might help or maybe not,hell what do I know? I got a 650!

Comment

Yes, it does have individual pods, and I figure it has a jet kit as well, but I don't know enough to say what stage. If it's stage 3 as you suggest, are you saying everyone with similar setups lives with the jerkiness?

One more thing - the bike has a sticker on the back that says "tuned by Larue" - can anyone tell me if this is a famous tuner, or maybe it's just a previous owner's name...?

Comment

Here's a pic:

Comment

Nice... I have an 81 1100E- same body style. Like the pipe. Take good care of it, that's a custom fitment.

Anyway, I imagine you are talking about around town driving, at slow speeds? When you wind it out it's pretty smooth? Of course, 1/8 throttle can be 65mph on that bike, so maybe you're having trouble all around.

The bike almost certainly has a jet kit with a pipe and pods. One disadvantage of a jet kit with pods is slow speed drivability. The carbs you have are constant velocity carbs. They basically work by air pressure- that is, the main needle is raised by air pressure, not the throttle cable itself. With a stock air box, when you crack the throttle, the air pressure is regulated a little more and pressure is introduced much more slowly and smoothly. Pods basically flood the engine with fuel and air quicker. The jet kits compensate for this with stiffer springs for the slide diaphragm, but it only does so much.

The advantage of pods/pipe/jets is quicker acceleration and higher top speeds. The disadvantage is choppy throttle response on the pilot circuit and poorer fuel economy.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Ok, so it sounds like I just have to live with the driveability issue for now, because I'm not putting it back to stock...! (don't have the airbox anyways). Regarding the Hindle pipes, the front header is sorta rusty - what's the best way to refinish those - ceramic coating? Not sure anyone even does that hereabouts. Are there other options?

Thanks for the replies, by the way - greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                X