Master Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Links

I was going over my bike today and noticed that the clip is missing off of the master link. Should I pull out the master link and replace both it and the clip or should I just replace the clip? I can't pull the unsecure plate off of the chain but I can see evidence of epoxy and the old retaining clip on it.

I must say that I'm really lucky though...I had my 1100 up to 160km/h within the first kilometer of owning it but when I returned to the dealer I found out that they didn't do the safety check I requested. So, the moral of this story is to do your own safety check on ANY bike you are about to buy, borrow or steal.

Steve

It sure is strange that someone used epoxy on the clip. It may indicate that the clip had been dammaged by someone and wouldnt stay on. Now i'm a bit frightened and would replace the entire master link but i dont know how to check to see if one is good or not--Seems like a small amount to pay for security.

Comment

I have heard that alot of people put a dab of silicon on the clip for extra insurance against it coming off, also the closed end of the clip should point in the direction of rotation. I don't have that problem with my GS850

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        I have heard that alot of people put a dab of silicon on the clip for extra insurance against it coming off, also the closed end of the clip should point in the direction of rotation. I don't have that problem with my GS850
        That remark has the ring of a drive shaft 8O

Comment

I don't have that trouble with my 1000 or 1300 either!

Comment

I would never consider "jury rigging" a master link to keep the clip in place. A new one only costs about a dollar. Way too much risk just to save a dollar.

Earl

[quote="slopoke"]It sure is strange that someone used epoxy on the clip. It may indicate that the clip had been dammaged by someone and wouldnt stay on.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I discard the clip and use safety wire instead

Comment

Nothing saver than rivetting it into place. Nothing beats a sledgehammer

Comment

I would get a new link just to be safe. You should see if you can get the one that you do rivet closed, makes it hard to adjust later but damn near garenteed not to come off!!

Comment

Anybody had any personal experience with a good-condition masterlinks coming apart, or even the clip coming off? Masterlinks are convenient for occasional off-bike chain cleaning or rear wheel removal, and I've had them on every bike I've owned before the 1100. I'd kinda like to go the masterlink route when it comes time to replace this original chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Munro
                      Anybody had any personal experience with a good-condition masterlinks coming apart, or even the clip coming off?
                      The only time I've seen them fail is on a dirt drag/hillclimb bike. You must realize though, that the chain is under EXTREME torture during this time. Redline launches and shifts are not considered normal usage. I have never broken a master link on a street bike. I have no hesitations what so ever about using them. 8)
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I've been riding 32 years and have never had a master link come off or break. My #630 "O" ring chain has a masterlink. A good master link clip will be stiff and snap into place when installed and you will have to use pliers to install it. If its snaps really easily into place requiring a minimum of pressure, I replace it. Under no circumstances should you be able to push it into place with your fingers. Also, ( I doubt many pay attention to this, but...) if you look at a master link clip closely, you will see that it is a stamped part. The "cut" in the center of the clip will have a sharp, square edge on one face and a rounded edge on the other. I make sure to install the clip with the sharp edge to the outside for a more positive lock into the groove in the linkpin.

Earl

Originally posted by Al Munro
                        Anybody had any personal experience with a good-condition masterlinks coming apart, or even the clip coming off? Masterlinks are convenient for occasional off-bike chain cleaning or rear wheel removal, and I've had them on every bike I've owned before the 1100. I'd kinda like to go the masterlink route when it comes time to replace this original chain.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

can i change clip type to the other kind of link? also, or jc whitney chains worth a hoot?

Comment

Do you mean can you change from a clip masterlink to a peened masterlink? Sure can. :-) I've had a couple of J C Whitney chains and had no problems with breakage or losing master link clips, but the ones I had were worn out in less than 1000 miles and I had to adjust them every 100 miles. I spent more money on chain lube with the things than a good chain would have cost me. :-) If you can stand the wallet bite, its is time and money saved to buy the best chain you can. I have never regretted going to a high quality
                            #630 "O" ring chain. I have only adjusted it once and that was because I wore out the rear tire and needed to replace it.
                            Tsubaki makes very good quality chain. (others do also) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by rick romero
                            can i change clip type to the other kind of link? also, or jc whitney chains worth a hoot?

Comment

thanks earl, looks like ill have to save longer for a chain, im about to make a website (HELP SAVE THE GS FUND!) for donations, yeah right that will work!

Comment

Working...
                              X