No announcement yet.

Master Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick, when you change to the more expensive chain, check the sprockets for wear. An old stretched chain will round off the sprocket teeth and if you install a new chain on worn sprockets, they will destroy the new chain. Sprocket teeth should have square edges. If they appear at all chisel toothed, replace them.
    I have about 15000 miles on my "new" sprockets and chain and there is no noticable wear on anything. Nothing needs adjustment.......just a little chain lube once a week. :-) :-)

Just a note: Some manufacturers make countershaft sprockets that require (and they include) a shim that is to be installed on the countershaft between the sprocket and case to place the sprocket in alignment. You can use a string to check sprocket alignment.

Earl

Originally posted by rick romero
    thanks earl, looks like ill have to save longer for a chain, im about to make a website (HELP SAVE THE GS FUND!) for donations, yeah right that will work!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

yup my front sproket is real bad, rear sproket looks good but for 30$ ill change it.

Comment

To anyone that's interested, changing to a 530 pitch chain and sprockets shaves some weight (free horsepower and helps handling..a little), costs a little less, and is more than strong enough for anything short of a full-on drag bike. A standard (non o-ring) chain costs even less, and doesn't eat as much horsepower as an o-ring chain, but the trade-off is a little more maintenance. Just some options to consider.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by GS1197TX
          To anyone that's interested, changing to a 530 pitch chain and sprockets shaves some weight (free horsepower and helps handling..a little), costs a little less, and is more than strong enough for anything short of a full-on drag bike. A standard (non o-ring) chain costs even less, and doesn't eat as much horsepower as an o-ring chain, but the trade-off is a little more maintenance. Just some options to consider.
          Mike
          I'm going to come asking for advice on that change to the 530 o-ring and sprockets whenever I can get enough miles on to wear out this OEM stuff.

My last revelation was going to chain wax when I had the chains off my (mostly roadgoing) dual purpose bikes; one with o-ring chain and one conventional. I don't have a lot of miles on yet, but this is the only product I've found with zero flingoff, despite lots of fancy promises by all those other products I tried. Yes, I haven't tried ALL the conventional lubes. I know others on the forum claim little or no flingoff from some products I haven't yet tried, but I'm hoping that the wax won't cake up quite as much with the fine dust I travel when I do go offroad.

Comment

I also tried "chain wax" and found it to be an excellent grinding paste.
            It took my chain from fair shape to totally stuffed in next to no time. When I replaced my chain 'I took the opportunity and swapped to 530 and there is a noticable increase in grunt down low. I am trying 90w gear oil at the moment to see how that works, on the Tractor I have always used Castrol aerosol chain lube

Comment

O-ring chains don't actually require lube. The lube is sealed inside by the o-rings. All that's really necessary is to keep it fairly clean, and oiled enough to prevent rust. Spraying with wd-40, or a similar type solvent and a good wipe down has worked well for me. Don't use any solvents or chemicals that will damage the o-rings..read all labels.
              Overlubing any chain (standard or o-ring) doesn't help. It only attracts dirt and speeds up the wear.
              My personal favorite method is to spray the chain with lube, wipe off the excess, and let it set for a while before riding (i prefer Bel-Ray lube...sprays on thin, but thickens after a short period). Helps keep the chain clean, and no gooey blobs on the back of my leg.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by GS1197TX
                O-ring chains don't actually require lube. The lube is sealed inside by the o-rings.

The pins are sealed where they meet the links, but I think the chain should get some lube where the rollers turn on the pins, and where the rollers meet the sprockets.

Spraying with wd-40, or a similar type solvent and a good wipe down has worked well for me.

I spray and wipe a little WD-40 onto the sideplates to fend off rust after bathing my chains in solvent. The solvent bath strips all the dirty goo, but without the WD-40 rust comes quickly. Unfortunately, even when I have the luxury of letting the WD-40 dry for a couple of days before relubing the chain, I find the WD-40 contributes to lube flingoff.

(i prefer Bel-Ray lube...sprays on thin, but thickens after a short period). Helps keep the chain clean, and no gooey blobs on the back of my leg.

Bel-Ray was the product I most recently abandoned. I found I couldn't escape having to clean goo off my wheel after the first ride. This despite putting a minimum of lube on a warm chain, wiping off every bit I could, and then letting thicken overnight.
                I'm even willing to sacrifice some chain and sprocket longevity if this chain wax is as clean as I hope. It's certainly cleaner and easier to apply.

Comment

I've saw a newer product on TV that is a combined brake disc and sprocket. I wonder how long chains last in a set up like that. I bet you'd lose all rear braking power if it started to rain.

Comment

Well, the master link on my 400 flew off today. Nothing serious happened, at first I thought my bike had popped back into neutral as I shifted into 5th gear.

I think the clip came off due to my unadjusted chain whipping forward when I hit the gas. I've had sprockets on order for 3 weeks so I knew something was going to happen eventually.

Steve

oh yeah, I had to push Betty 3 kilometers to get back home

Comment

If you can stand the wallet bite, its is time and money saved to buy the best chain you can.
                      Words of wisdom!!! I learned the hard way last summer. This year, I'm getting the best chain available.
                      I just ordered one of those chain scrubbers/oilers. I hope this makes the clean & lube less of a mess.

Comment

Working...
                      X