Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust flange bolts, popping, crackling sound on acceleration

Hi all;

I've been getting some really great advice and help on this forum and maybe this might help someone else out.

I've been thinking about replacing the stock exhaust with a Vance & Hine 4-1 Megaphone, so I read a bunch of posts and asked for some advice about getting the existing exhaust bolts out (82 GS850G, so the bolts have been in there for a long time!!)

I sprayed the bolts (both the bolt head and where the flange met with the cylinder head) really well with WD40 one afternoon when the bike was cold and let it sit overnight. I took it and got it good and hot a day or two later, then took it to the car wash to hose off some of the old engine gunk and oil (I've got a small leak).

When I re-started the bike, I got a popping/crackling sound coming from under the gas tank -- !@#$!@#$ -- figured I cracked the cylinder head or pipe!

But, the engine ran good, so I proceeded to drive home. I then started to get a buzzing sound at certain RPM's. Got home, looked the bike over and couldn't spot anything. OK, maybe I just got a little water in the electrical system or something and it will be OK tomorrow after drying out.

Next day, the popping and buzzing gets worse. Later, after the bike had cooled, I got down under the engine and saw that one of the exhaust bolts had come completely out -- it was just dangling in the flange.

On top of that... everyone of the exahust bolts was loose and could easily be taken out -- which I did, cleaned them off, then re-tightened them.

Bike is running A-OK and I figure I can replace my exhasut whenever.

Hope this helps someone else.

Charles...

Might explain some of the popping I get on hard acceleration.

Comment

No disrespect, but what is the moral of the story? Don't clean your bike?

No worries here mate!
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Never spray water on a warm or hot bike!!!!You will do damage to it on that extreme of a cool down. Always wash your bike when cool. I guess thats the moral of the story.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2006, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
          Never spray water on a warm or hot bike!!!!You will do damage to it on that extreme of a cool down. Always wash your bike when cool. I guess thats the moral of the story.
          So what about driving in the rain?

Comment

You won't get a sudden decrease in temp while the bike is running.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Oh, of course. That is a no-no!
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

when your driving in the rain your bike is maintaining heat,and your moving.when you turn it off to wash it the heat is no longer being produced,thus instant metal cool down.It like putting a glass dish in the heat and then setting it in the cold,it will crack instantly.(dont ask me how i know that).

Comment

when your driving in the rain your bike is maintaining heat,and your moving.when you turn it off to wash it the heat is no longer being produced,thus instant metal cool down.It like putting a glass dish in the heat and then setting it in the cold,it will crack instantly.(dont ask me how i know that).
                  makes sense, I had a glass window on a barbeque blow when I had the heat really high and it started raining. I have heard it called "Shock cooling" in reference to air cooled airplane engines. basically if they are at power then take the power right off and glide in it cools the engine too quick and can cause cylinder problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                    No disrespect, but what is the moral of the story? Don't clean your bike?
                    NO!!!

I bought a 24 year old bike and it needed some cleaning -- which I did soon after purchasing it. However, there was some heavy dirt and grease on the mag wheels and upper engine.

There is no moral -- I was just trying to relay an experience and hoped it might help someone else. (I read numerous posts about how difficult it can be to remove exhaust bolts and was amazed at how mine came loose after soaking them with WD40 and cleaning the engine -- guess the cooling of the engine during the wash had something to do with it.)

Charles...

Comment

Yes, I know... unfortunately, I did not think of that at the time -- just figured the dirt/gease would come off of a hot engine much easier. (I did keep the engine running during the wash.)

Fortunately, it looks like I did not crack the cylinder head or block as the bike is running quite well.

Charles...

Comment

Originally posted by ccs
                        NO!!!

I bought a 24 year old bike and it needed some cleaning -- which I did soon after purchasing it. However, there was some heavy dirt and grease on the mag wheels and upper engine.

There is no moral -- I was just trying to relay an experience and hoped it might help someone else. (I read numerous posts about how difficult it can be to remove exhaust bolts and was amazed at how mine came loose after soaking them with WD40 and cleaning the engine -- guess the cooling of the engine during the wash had something to do with it.)

Charles...
                        sounds like you bought a bike that never sat outside in the elements allowing it to rust up in area's.My flange bolts are the same way.I can easily take the exhaust off and on without any broken or stipped out bolts.Soaking them or any bolt in wd-40 for a long period of time will help tremendously.The aluminum head will heat up and expand quicker than the bolts that hold the flanges on.I always warm the engine up a little before I change spark plugs too.

Comment

Working...
                        X