81 GS850 Bogging Down at 2K+RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS850 Bogging Down at 2K+RPM

I recently bought a 81 GS850 from a buddy, the original owner. He hadnt rode the bike much in the last 10 years, and not at all in 3. The bike only has 23K miles on it.

I got the bike home and it didnt want to idle well. I replaced the plugs and it ran somewhat better. I figured there was some varnish in the carbs(from 3 years of sitting), so I took off the air box shot the carbs with carb cleaner, and ran some 91 octane gas with some carb cleaner(gumout) in it through the bike. It still seemed like it was starving for gas, and bogging bad at above 2K RPMs. I drained the tank, pulled and cleaned the petcock and screen with carb cleaner, and reinstalled. hooked everything back up, and it still bogs bad. Even in neutral, when I rev it, it just starts choking at 2000 RPMs or so, and backs right down. If I hold the choke out, it revs right up to like 6K RPMs. I changed the plugs again thinking maybe I killed the last set(new) with the carb cleaner, but still the same.

Any thoughts? If it means tearing the engine or carbs apart, I'm taking it in to a pro. Buddy said it ran great last time he was out 3 years ago, and he wouldnt BS me.

Thanks,
    Jason Adam

?

it sounds like ther is a lean condition as evidenced by it reving with the choke (this will richen it). sounds like you need to clean the carbs. Gumout will probably work but it works slowly. My bike has been running progressively better after 2000 miles. However you need to get over 2000 rpm to ride it. I'd clean the carbs.

Comment

Thanks, Looks like I'll be taking it in to have somebody pull the carbs off....

Comment

Man thats going to cost ya.....there's a good carb cleaning guide in the garage section front page of this site...check it out and do it yourself. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Comment

Bogging Down at 2K+RPM

My 1980 850 behaved the same way.What do your plugs look like-mine were black even though it ran like it was lean.You'll probably have to clean your carbs.Did you put your airbox & filter back on?If not try that first because it will not run right without it.I went through my carbs 4 times before I discovered that.Good luck.

Comment

no airbox/filter was exactaly the problem...... Read about 1000 old threads this morning and went over and tried that. She runs good now...

Comment

Working...
            X