these hand grips suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

these hand grips suck

How do ya change hands grips? I have those big cruiser grips and they need to be smaller like the originals but I dont want to just start cutting them off.I was looking at gel grips from crc and that would be more to my likeing and smaller diameter but i want to do it right.any ideas?

Cut 'em off. It's the easiest way.

I guess if you want too, you could slide a long thin screwdriver up inside the grip and spray some WD-40 in there and try to work it all the way around the H-bar. Then you have to clean, clean, clean the handle bar to get the WD-40 residue off of it so that your new grips will stick. Make sure it's absolutely clean and dry.

Then liberally spray some hairspray on the H-bar and inside the new grips. Slide them on and quickly adjust them to the right position in under thirty seconds. Then don't touch them over night. Don't even think about touching them or they'll come loose on ya. Make sure you don't have to push your bike back inside the garage after you put the grips on because touching them will screw it up.

If you can get them on quickly, and avoid touching them while they dry, the hairspray will hold them tight for years.

HTH,
    -=Tim=-

Comment

True!

Perfect advice! You'll be as happy as a clam if you follow those directions!!:-D
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I used a hair dryer got them really hot put gloves on and worked them back and forth and came right off.

Comment

Originally posted by gs54
          I used a hair dryer got them really hot put gloves on and worked them back and forth and came right off.
          Thanks guys I'll try those ideas as soon as I pick out some good grips. The PO put these foam harley cruiser grips on here and it's like holding on to a tree trunk!

Comment

grip removal

the easiest way ive found to remove grips is like this...take a small flat head screw driver and pry up on the grip then with a air blower attached to your air compressor apply losta of air...grip will blow up enough to slide off easy...and please dont use hairspray to reinstall i know thats a old school trick but it is bad for the new style grips. they actually make grip glue its cheap and drys in a few minutes.

Comment

I've always had good luck with the long flat blade screwdriver but with contact cleaner, instead of WD-40. It makes it easier to clean up the bar. You probably won't need the hairspay deal. I've had little luck with that as hot weather tends to soften the adhesion and the grips will move around. I just spray some contact cleaner inside the new grips and when it evaporates, the grips hold fast. This has worked for me probably close to a hundred times.
              That said, if you're using the 'grab- on' style foam grips, adhesive will be necessary and I would suggest Scotts brand grip- adhesive for this.

Comment

Working...
              X