Madura vs. GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madura vs. GS

Just looking for general comments....... given a choice between a clean, used Madura 1200 or a similar sized and aged GS, which would you take? Overall peformance, comfort, looks, mechanical reliabilty, repairs, parts, etc.

Rocketman

You're asking a very partial group.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If it works and you like it, why do you need somebody else's opinion?
      Ride the Madura, and the GS(there are different configurations) and see which is more comfortable and enjoyable for you.

Comment

A nice condition Madura is rare. They're usually rusted up from the spokes on. Unique, too. And fast. Most folks here hate the way they look. I'd go Madura. Liquid cooled V-4 shaft drive! Rocks!

Comment

Madura= Japanese for ugly.

And a V-4 yea cool, but try to get service. Or to do it yourself carb set up...good luck!
          Parts? Can't say.........

Yea it's a V-4 yea it has power, yea it's shaft, but it has to be one of the ugliest motorcycles ever produced.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

The taillight-grab-handle-backrest-combo unit is what turns me off to 'em. Very ugly...

Comment

I'd have to go with a GS because I would hate to puke every time I looked at my Madura.....8-[
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                I'd have to go with a GS because I would hate to puke every time I looked at my Madura.....8-[
                Now that's funny! :-D

Comment

Don't listen to them, Rocketman! Beauty IS Power!

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhh, stop it, DA! My eyes are burning! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Comment

You guys are something else (in a good way!), and always keep me smiling. I already own an '82 GS850L, and always want to keep my options open. Saw these 2 Maduras on E-Bay. The black one looks great, but the red one has more displacement. Not that I'm buying anything new today, but just curious what you guys thought. Thanks again for the feedback.

1986 1200: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...07939712QQrdZ1

1985 700: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...08383856QQrdZ1

Comment

They really are the link between todays v-twin metric crusiers, and the converted inline 4 cruisers of the early 80's. I think the Yamaha V Max was the sole survivor of that era.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind
                          They really are the link between todays v-twin metric crusiers, and the converted inline 4 cruisers of the early 80's. I think the Yamaha V Max was the sole survivor of that era.
                          And that Kawasaki 750 metric cruiser...I forget what's it's called...looks like a Suzuki "L" model...

Comment

Originally posted by Desolation Angel
                            And that Kawasaki 750 metric cruiser...I forget what's it's called...looks like a Suzuki "L" model...
                            Vulcan, right?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
                              Vulcan, right?
                              Yeah, they still make a 500 Vulcan. It looks pretty '80's.

Comment

Working...
                              X