Madura vs. GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madura??

Hey, if you like the way it looks, why not?
    But if you want I can send some magazine articles on it. But if you want something fast, try a V-MAX.

GREG
    sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
    2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
    Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
    '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

I just saw a Madura today. Some guy just rode up to my house on one and started fixing up my bike. He was pretty cool.

Beautiful bike too.

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
        Hey, if you like the way it looks, why not?
        But if you want I can send some magazine articles on it. But if you want something fast, try a V-MAX.

GREG
        Already got one of them too! :-D I'm just considering this bike because it's right down the street and very cheap, supposedly only needs a battery and carb cleaning. I will most likely get it running and sell it come spring.
        Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
        87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
        99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
        15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o..._Avatar1_1.jpg

Comment

I dont know about the zuki v-4 but a friend of mine has V65 Magna. It is a really quick bike that is fairly reliable. HOWEVER, if you have to do anything to vertical (rearward) set of cylinders............you will most likely kill something or hang yourself. Something as simple as adjusting valves (the magnas are solid) takes all friggin day because of all the crap you have to remove/jack with/work around just to get to the stupid thing. Even syncing the carbs takes an act of congress.......I really hate that bike.

But hey, the suzuki version might be easier to work on than that.......but I wouldnt count on it .

Just my opinion.

Comment

Ya know, if they would have mounted the radiator vertically, rethought the exhaust a little and reworked/retouched the sissy bar, it wouldn't be a bad looking bike. Of course, my favorite bike to date has been my '85 VT700C Shadow, sorely missed. (Don't hate me yet, I haven't had a chance to ride my GS750E, still trying to get it running!) 8-[

I've always been a firm believer that it's not what you ride, it's THAT you ride. Unless it's a moped, then get out of my way. :-D

Another bike I'm a huge fan of is the Intruder, and it seems to have one of the same problems as the Madura: small gas tank. What does Suzuki have against long-distance trips? I found a company, McFat Tanks, that makes larger tanks, up to 7.0 gallons (topheavy? a wee bit), maybe something similar could be found for the Madura. But, then again, Intruder parts are a LOT more common. Not to mention that they basically haven't changed much since the late '80's.

Okay, now I'm rambling, so I'll shut up now.

Comment

Buy the Maddie!

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
              Just looking for general comments....... given a choice between a clean, used Madura 1200 or a similar sized and aged GS, which would you take? Overall peformance, comfort, looks, mechanical reliabilty, repairs, parts, etc.

Rocketman
              I'm far from impartial as I own an '85 GV1200GLF and would not trade her for any other bike. Motor is bullet proof. Mine sat in a backyard for 10 yrs and all I had to do was change oil, plugs, drive lube and clean the carbs. 115HP, 6 speed over drive and she'll run rings around most other bikes.

She just won't pass a gas station, LOL

Wayne

BTW: Wheels on the Madura forum has a 700 with OVER 250,000 Miles. No major repairs ever...
              Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2006, 12:51 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

Working...
              X