Bogging down from take-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogging down from take-off

I've got a 1985 GS700Es with about 8k miles on it. As far as I know, all stock except the PO put pods on it and a Supertrapp slip-on. When I take off from a stop, it kind of hesitates and pops and sputters until I getto about 2500 rpm. Also when I'm in 5th gear, if I slowly roll the throttle back it picks up fine. The problem is when I try to open her up, she barely picks up at all like a big flat spot. Any ideas on what to check would be greatly appreciated . Thanks,
    lostit23

Check that the jets are clean and free of debris. Does the bike idle fine? If the bike idles, then its likely the jets. If it doesnt idle that well, there could be an intake leak, or the cam-timing could be off a tooth.

poot

Comment

Originally posted by Poot
      Check that the jets are clean and free of debris. Does the bike idle fine? If the bike idles, then its likely the jets. If it doesnt idle that well, there could be an intake leak, or the cam-timing could be off a tooth.

poot
      Yes it idles ok. Ill check the jets, thanks for the input. lostit23

Comment

I hate to break this to you, but many folks on this site report that thier hopped-up bikes (pods and non-stock pipe) have the problem you describe. Especially the part about having to roll the throttle on fairly smoothly to avoid hiccups and/or flat-spots. They also report significantly worse gas mileage. Some have actually gone back to stock set-up. So even if if you've got everything set up perfectly (no air leaks, clean carbs, proper jetting, etc.), you still might not be able to eliminiate the problem altogether.

Comment

Thats the idea im starting to get. The pods and pipe were there from the previous owner. Wish i did still have the stock parts. Thanks though.

Comment

What do you have to do to check the jets? Pull carbs? Access to jets is where?

Comment

Working...
            X