Stator Problem...Possibly???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Problem...Possibly???

ok so ive looked around the stator papers and not being mechanicly inclined im trying to grasp whats happeneing to my bike 83 gs 550es. heres the deal bike has been running fine for all of last year and the better part of this year. im getting a lot of heat developing under my seat which i believe is where the stator is. it began to drop the charge every once in a while at random. but now its a daily problem if i boost it off of a car it will work for the day but in the morning the battery is dead and must be boosted again. is this a stator problem or the regulator rectifier.

The stator is nowhere near the seat, so the R/R is the one heating up. A replacement R/R is almost certainly in order here. Using the tests outlined in the stator papers will tell the tale for sure.

Comment

Lots of possibilities

It could be lots of things but the first thing I would suspect is that your battery is shot. The stator is behind your left side case...by your left toe. Stator problems are very common but I don't think that's what's going on with your bike.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Is this a repair that i could attempt to do my self
        or should i not bother and send it in??

Comment

Problem

Once you figure out what's causing the problem, it may be very easy to fix. Obviously, if it's your battery, you can change that in just a few minutes. If it's your stator, it's a little more time consuming but really straight forward.

If it's the R/R, that only take a few minutes unless you need to replace some fried wires. In any case, figuring out the problem could be the hard part....fixing it will probably be easy. Good luck!:-D
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
          X