Vance and Hines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vance and Hines

I just got my pipe in today from Mashonline.com. They arrived in a new box and were wrapped with plastic and foam.. I am very pleased with this purchase.

They came included with some directions for jetting the various bikes with these pipes.

Heres what mine says. I do have a question about one thing
    Remove the stock airboxlid and increase the main jet too a 122.5 The pilot jet should be raised to a 47.5

Ok from my understanding.

Remove the the lid. I am going to increase it too a 120. since that is all the kit came with. The pilot jet what do they mean when they say raised too 47.5. what measurement are they talking about?

Anyone else do this mod for the Midwest. What was ur best success for your bike
    I have a gs 1100 shaftie 84.

Still waiting on the jet kit too get here.

Stock pilot jets in your bike are 40. In your float bowl there is a jet inside a tube that has a rubber cap over it. Mikuni jets go in 2.5 increments and the number is stamped on the jet itself. 47.5 is too big a jump for your pilot circuit. Try the bigger main jet and your current pilot jet(you might have to take your idle mixture screws out a bit more.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Nice pipes, what jet kit are you getting?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

even better, your muffler fit on your headers :/ mine didn't. still did to get the can expanded at a shop or something

Comment

Darn Californians, They don't make NO sense.

Comment

Ok im excited.

I just got thru tonight with all the adjustment. You can read the other thread about how i fixed that broken bolt. Now here she is with her pipes on and she runs good.

Now here is what i did. I put on the new pipe then fitted the back mega phone part around the center stand. I had too figure out a way around that mount. I took a bolt,(another metric) and then welded that onto the back bolts foot peg. It was a perfect match and as you can see it worked out good. Then i rejetted the four carbs witht the 120 jets. I got a kit from ebay for 32 bucks.

I took out the stock air box filter and I plan too replace it with a k an N high performance one. Unless you feel I can use the original again its good shape.

I took out the muffler insulation. I want too know if that is need for back pressure on these pipes. I like the loud sound it gives with out the insulation in there. She runs good. no problems so far.

Now my questions are this. Can I run this with out the insulation in the baffle system? Can I run this with a stock air box filter? I personally like the way she came out. Would you throw the saddle bags back on her or would leave them off?

Comment

Don't run your bike without an air filter. When it comes to the pipes, if your plugs are tan and your not running rich or lean and you can stand the sound of yourself, go for it!

Comment

Nice bike Cyg!

Comment

As far as the air box goes I talked to one of the head guys at minkuni during sturgis two years back. He actually reccomends putting a K&N filter in the stock air box and running that for the carbs, not to change it. He was mentioning that these carbs liked having still air which the original air box gives it. I have read posts that stated increasing the size of the air intake on the air box helps though. I was asking him what he thought would be a good upgrade for the bike (new carbs and etc). The bike looks great by the way. Where did you get the Sissy bar / backrest. And any chance of getting some closer up pictures of that? I am currently in the middle of a mild fixup process on my bike. I will post pictures when I am done (should be this wednessday). I took your advice with the mount as I just put on the exact same muffler on my bike today . I got the Dyna jet kit for mine though, hoping it turns out.

Comment

As far as the post about the muffler not fitting on the headers. I had the same problem. Just took a little elbow grease and some sanding and I was able to get them to fit onto the headers fine (about 1.5 hours after starting :-|)

Comment

Some sanding eh? Did you sand the inside of the pipe? Its pretty ridiculous they dont fit from the factory

Comment

thanks I took her out on a maiden ride 150 miles today and not one problem. I pulled off the plugs and not too hot or too lean. I am running 8es in her.

After all the things I have had too do get too get bikes too run, this one was the easiest one too do yet. The jets were perfect. the stock airbox needs too be replaced, but the idle is good. I love her all over again.

I am going too throw these on her when they arrive. I got em from ebay.
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
                        You know what the neat thing is about this bike. I get the wave from all the harley boys now. lol

I use too just get it from the rice rockets. Now its all genders.

Ill try and get your close up pics for you.
                        The back rest was on her when I traded up for her. I traded two bikes for this one. even deal. One was a kz 750 spectre and the other a kz 650 I painted gun metal metallic.

I am going too paint her tank and covers this fall. I got some nice emerald green I like.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
                          Don't run your bike without an air filter. When it comes to the pipes, if your plugs are tan and your not running rich or lean and you can stand the sound of yourself, go for it!
                          Yeah, great, so everyone else has to listen to it.

One of my pet peeves. The guy on the bike can't hear the noise he leaves behind, but everyone else has to. Why is it that bikes (in particular Harley's) get to break noise laws , but no one else? If I eviscerated the mufflers on my car & rode it around towm I'd get a ticket in 5 minutes, but some dirtbag on a Harley runs straight pipes and somehow it's OK.

Put the stuffing back in the pipes & spare everyone else your 'cool' sound.

You want to run open pipes, take it to the racetrack.

Comment

I must admit its not really all that loud without the insulation in there. She goes pop.pop.pop like a rice rocket with a short exhaust but she doesnt have the brup brup brup brup like a h/d would. I had to chuckle at that one about takeing the mufflers off and have the cops ticket you. We got some long necks here that go from bar too bar at 2 in the morning. and boy do they tear up the street when driveing by.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Hagen
                              As far as the post about the muffler not fitting on the headers. I had the same problem. Just took a little elbow grease and some sanding and I was able to get them to fit onto the headers fine (about 1.5 hours after starting :-|)
                              I just took my propane torch and got my muffler good and hot where the collector slides in and assembled the muffler onto the collector right on the bike. A good tight fit between the header and the megaphone is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X