pondering tappet clearance. 1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pondering tappet clearance. 1100G

Okay, with the fine advise of you fine folks, and after reviewing the Suzuki manual again, and with a newer set of feeler guages (my set from 1974 were all too thick), I have checked all my tappett clearances. Only two were out of the specified range, #2 intake and #1 exhaust was well below the range but could still spin the tappet/shim just as easy as the others so not completly bottomed out.

I did notice that all the intakes (except the one) were near the bottom of the specifed range, and all the exhaust (except the one) were more near the upper part of the range.
    I wonder if:
    - that is how they are set up originally to allow for more heat expansion of the exhaust valves?
    - maybe thats how some PO purposly set it up.
    - or maybe the exhaust wear differnt than the intake.
    - any reason that the intake should match the exhaust?
    - those two tappetts would not effect proformance much would it? (compression was 125-130-130-140)
    - or maybe I dont need to think about such minor details.

Last edited by Redman; 07-22-2006, 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling I not goodt spuller
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Originally posted by Redman
    Okay, with the fine advise of you fine folks, and after reviewing the Suzuki manual again, and with a newer set of feeler guages (my set from 1974 were all too thick), I have checked all my tappett clearances. Only two were out of the specified range, #2 intake and #1 exhaust was well below the range but could still spin the tappet/shim just as easy as the others so not completly bottomed out.

I did notice that all the intakes (except the one) were near the bottom of the specifed range, and all the exhaust (except the one) were more near the upper part of the range.
    I wonder if:
    - that is how they are set up originally to allow for more heat expansion of the exhaust valves?
    - maybe thats how some PO purposly set it up.
    - or maybe the exhaust wear differnt than the intake.
    - any reason that the intake should match the exhaust?
    - those two tappetts would not effect proformance much would it? (compression was 125-130-130-140)
    - or maybe I dont need to think about such minor details.

I would be more concerned about a tight clearance than a loose clearance. Loose will cause a bit of noise but is unlikely to harm the engine. Tight can cause the valve to stay partially open which will degrade performance and can burn the valve.

In general exhaust valve gear wears quicker because it is exposed to so much heat. There are two main causes of valve wear; the valve itself wearing into the head (will cause tight clearances) and wear between the cam and shim/bucket/valve stem (will loosen clearances).

You probably don't need to worry about such details but since you have it apart you may as well change the shims on the two that are out of spec, for peace of mind if nothing else.............

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks Joe,

Yep, already got the two replacement shims on order. Had to order them, local dealer said "for an 82? snicker snicker will have to order them".

Was wondering about most of the exhaust being in upper part of range of clearance and the intakes being in lower part of the range.

Thanks for sharing you knowlodge while I share my ignorance.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman
        Thanks Joe,

Yep, already got the two replacement shims on order. Had to order them, local dealer said "for an 82? snicker snicker will have to order them".

Was wondering about most of the exhaust being in upper part of range of clearance and the intakes being in lower part of the range.

Thanks for sharing you knowlodge while I share my ignorance.
        Anytime! That's what this site is all about, people helping people. When are you going to come out west and ride with the Chicago gang?

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Joe, I was am about to post on the Gelena thread about that. I meet some of the Chicago guys at Brown County last year.
          DAVE

Comment

Working...
          X