No announcement yet.

Changing rear tire myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I change my own tires -- the shops around here won't mount tires unless you buy them through the shop at insane markups.

It's a financial survival skill, unless you have enough money you don't care. The best prices I've found locally are around $300+ a set for premium (Dunlop 491, Metzeler, Pirelli, etc.) tires mounted and balanced if I bring in the rims. I can order the same tires myself for $180 - $200.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Where do you order from?

Comment

Originally posted by jm_foote
        Where do you order from?
        I got my last set from www.americanmototire.com. I got a set of dunlop 404s for less than $100. I think shipping was in the $20 range.

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw
          I used a large c-clamp and some pieces of 1X wood to break my beads. It was easy. I use balancing beads from http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
          I read through thier whole site, but still don't understand how the balancing beads work. Can you explain it?
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            I read through thier whole site, but still don't understand how the balancing beads work. Can you explain it?
            I don't understand it exactly either, I do know the big rig trucks in the company I work for have used sand in the tires for quite a while, supposed to work real good. I am thinking about ordering some in to try on the next set of tires.

Comment

I'll post an endorsement for americanmototire. They had the best price and the tire arrived in a few days.

Comment

I just ordered a set of Pirelli Sport Demons from Southwest Moto Tire. They emailed me a few minutes after the order to let me know that the sizes I needed were not in stock and how long it would take them to arrive. Pretty good service, I think. No one else I contacted had oddball size Pirellis in stock either, and I wasn't in a hurry anyway. The tires arrived on time as promised.

Since they have free shipping on orders over $100, their total prices were the best I found by a few bucks, but their selection in bias ply tires is limited.

I've also ordered from Tires Unlimited before, and been very happy. They have a huge selection of brands and sizes, and their prices are very competitive. They are a real tire warehouse, so you can call a real person to check real inventory if you're in a crunch:
                Let Ted Tread and team get you going on the road safely
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X