Hotter Spark Plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotter Spark Plug?

Hello, I have an 80GS750L, it uses NGKD8EA OR ND X24ES-U spark plugs. I am looking for a few shades hotter, does anyone know what would be a good plug to run? Thanks.

7 on the NGK would be a hotter plug. If you're running rich you really should fix the problem. Hotter plug really isn't a quick fix.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah I know. The carbs are coming off tomorrow. When I am done I want to take it up a notch and burn a hotter plug in it is all. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by HobieSun
        Hello, I have an 80GS750L, it uses NGKD8EA OR ND X24ES-U spark plugs. I am looking for a few shades hotter, does anyone know what would be a good plug to run? Thanks.
        Swapping to "hotter" heat range plugs is only a "Band-Aid" for other issues. Stick with the proper heat range, and diagnose the real fouling issue.

Comment

Like I said before, I am going to fix the problem but I want to try a hotter plug after everything is fixed.

Comment

Why?

Why? What advantage do you think you'll gain from running a hotter plug?
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

A hotter plug, one heat range, should only be used on a bike that's used for very short trips. Five miles and less literally. Even then, I'd see how the factory plugs perform first.
              If you're running rich, a hotter plug is the wrong "fix". People here are just trying to save you some frustration and maybe more problems.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                Why? What advantage do you think you'll gain from running a hotter plug?
                I just wanted to see how many people would get their undies all bunched up over it is all. (More then I had thought):-D

Comment

Hi

In my Suzuki work shop manual.they say that you might change the plugs to hotter or colder plugs because of driving conditions...

Comment

Huh?

I just wanted to see how many people would get their undies all bunched up over it is all. (More then I had thought):-D
                    I don't think anyone's upset about it. People respond to technical questions with the intent of trying to help each other out.

If you want to run hotter plugs, I think most people would think it's probably unnecessary and a bad idea... and that it might damage your engine; but I doubt if anybody really cares one way or another; I certainly don't.

Having said that, I'm still curious to know why you think it would be a good idea...do you think it will make it faster or more powerful???

Comment

Under certain driving conditions and climates it could run better. Of course it could possibly run worse, that is why I would like to possibly try it. I would put any amount of money that one step hotter of a plug wouldn't do any damage to the motor, in fact it could possibly clean up a little carbon that may be hanging around. As far as having more power or being faster, I doubt if it would make that much of a difference, but if one plug happens to be more ideal in a certain situation, yes, it could possibly have more power.
                      I realize that people are trying to help me out and that is what this forum is for and I really appreciate all the help, that is why I put the little smiley face after mentioning everyone getting there panties in a bunch. I suppose that not everyone got all bunched up, maybe just you...\\/
                      Thank you everyone for your information.

Comment

Originally posted by Einar J Skog
                        Hi

In my Suzuki work shop manual.they say that you might change the plugs to hotter or colder plugs because of driving conditions...
                        This is true.I believe there is no adverse affects to a hotter plug, I ran one in my 81 for quite some time. Had no noticeable effect on power or mileage. The motor is still in decent shape.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Under certain driving conditions and climates it could run better. Of course it could possibly run worse, that is why I would like to possibly try it. I would put any amount of money that one step hotter of a plug wouldn't do any damage to the motor, in fact it could possibly clean up a little carbon that may be hanging around. As far as having more power or being faster, I doubt if it would make that much of a difference, but if one plug happens to be more ideal in a certain situation, yes, it could possibly have more power.
                          I realize that people are trying to help me out and that is what this forum is for and I really appreciate all the help, that is why I put the little smiley face after mentioning everyone getting there panties in a bunch. not everyone got all bI suppose that unched up, maybe just you...\\/ Thank you everyone for your information.
                          You're still not quite understanding my post...and, in my opionion, you're getting off to the wrong start on this forum (but, time will tell).

I don't care if you run a hotter plug, a leaner plug or push your bike off of a cliff. As long as the plug isn't going in my bike and it isn't my bike going off of the cliff, you're welcome to treat it any way you see fit. If you'd "put any amount of money that one step hotter of a plug wouldn't damage your motor".... go ahead and do it..at least then, you may have some interesting information to offer to the rest of us.
                          Last edited by chuckycheese; 07-25-2006, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I agree it's his bike to experiment with if he likes. It's too easy to take typed words the wrong way too.
                            I can tell you that the factory plug is the best plug for a bike running normal conditions. I think Suzuki understands their motors better than most of us and that's their choice. One range hotter probably won't cause a problem as long as the jetting/timing is correct.
                            If you primarily run short trips only, then a hotter plug is beneficial. All other conditions, you're just making the head/cylinders run hotter than they should. No point in that in any case. If a hotter plug is being used to compensate for a rich condition, that's a mistake I assure you.
                            We give advice. Sometimes taken, sometimes ignored. The person asking the question has no idea which reply to trust. I know what I'm talking about when talking sparkplugs, but I can't make someone believe the advice. They'll learn one way or the other.
                            Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 07-25-2006, 02:01 AM.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I am no plug heat range guru, but I have heard in conversations by tuning experts that swapping to a "hotter" plug, not only slows the plug's ability to pass heat, but can also fester pre-ignition.

Comment

Working...
                              X