Will the Accel 140403 kit work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the Accel 140403 kit work?

Hey, been lurking for a while but now a member.
    My wife has a 1979 GS750L and the motor is DOHC.
    I'm looking at the Accel coil kit for her bike, but worried about this statement: "Not for twin cam applications"
    Now do they mean something different than DOHC?
    Will this kit work for her bike?

Link:
    http://www.mawonline.com/amawcat/DRAG0515.JPG

This ad appears to be for HD aftermarket coils. The 'twin cam' they are referring to is the newer 88 C.I. V-Twin engine. Don't think you want to apply these coils to your GS - they probably wouldn't fit without mods even if they are the correct rating.

Comment

Well, I did a search before and saw a few people with older bikes (75-82) and 550-1000cc that have done the coils. So it wasn't a question of whether or not it can be done on older bikes, but rather on my bike. Thanks for trying to help, but there isn't much to mod to put these on. I believe they'll basically mount right up to the frame with the included brackets and then after the wires are taylored, and signal leads connected, vroom vroom.
      Is there someone out there that's done this mod that can give insight?

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoDaClown
        I'm looking at the Accel coil kit for her bike, but worried about this statement: "Not for twin cam applications"
        Now do they mean something different than DOHC?
        Sorry, but this is what you asked.

Comment

coils

No real insight, just bolt them up. Gap your plugs at 35 thou and dont touch the sparking end. (trust me on that one). But that with CDI has your got points still?
          Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2006, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I have Accel coils on my 1000. I got them here http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
            (choose the "electrical" subheading on the left, then choose coils.)
            MAW has good prices, but their service leaves much to be desired.

Comment

Yeah, I bought the kit from MAW and they emailed me yesterday saying they'd be in a bit late because they were out of stock. No big deal. I just wanted to make sure I was getting the exact thing I needed before I tried to return them. So once the 31st comes, wifey will have new plugs, wires and coils. Now maybe she'll stop bugging me about getting a new bike. She's a little upset that I'm trying to sell my '03 R6 to get a '06 VStar, while she's cruising on a '79 GS750. She still needs a lot of road time until I trust her with a new bike.

What kind of mileage do people get on their similar bikes. The last rally we rode in, she got about 28 mpg.

Comment

I have a 79 GS750E, and usually get 35-45mpg depending on how aggressive I am with the throttle.

Comment

Working...
                X