Differences between 82-83 GS 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences between 82-83 GS 1100E

I have looked quite a bit for pictures of the 83 GS1100E. Having difficulties in finding them. Quite a few 82s, but very limited on the 83s. I know the 83 engine is blacked out and the 82 has the crosslaced looking mags, but is there any other differences between them?

Curious.

Jim

From "Cycle" magazine, April 1983.

2 subtle external changes mark the more powerful 1983 engines. The muffler's exhaust outlets were opened 5 millimeters, from 30mm to 35mm: the increase may indicate some internal silencer modifications too.
    Eagle-eyes will spot the revised airbox with its single large.round orifice,Suzuki engineers designed it a new box which uses 2 small,oval inlet holes to increase total inlet area. The air filter has likewise been changed,picking up an additional foam sleeve over its paper element. These small external changes all suggest that the 1983 GS1100 engine has more air moving through it. Inside there's hard evidence. Suzuki engineers have increased inlet and exhaust valve lift(intake. 7.0 to 7.5mm; exhaust 6.5 to 7.0mm)advanced the intake cam timing 13 degrees(relative to crank position),extended the exhaust-valve timing on both ends and,consequently,increased valve overlap(that period,measured in degrees,when both intake and exhaust are open.
    Downstairs, Suzuki has acted to prevent crankshaft twisting by welding the crankpins to the flywheels,actually a mid-1982 factory change and performed on replacement stocks at US Suzuki. GS1100's by their nature,get the hell run out of them;so given the increased pressure from the top floor combustion department,crank welding is an intelligent precaution. Incidentally,additional crankshaft modifications allow for a new,larger 130mm alternator. This increases the GS1100's output to about 280 watts.
    Expecting clutch abuse, Suzuki engineers added one drive and 2 driven plates. To make room in the existing clutch basket, they thinned the drive plates from 2.8mm to 2.0mm. Further,the clutch spring material has been changed,presumably to tougher stuff. They also switched from forged pistons from cast pieces.

Hope this answers some questions, Doug 8)
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Speedo on US models, 82 went to 85mph and the 83 to 140 mph. Tach on 83 redline is 9500 and the 82 is 9000. (Don't know if they implies a change in the engine or Suzuki's confidence).
      I believe the 82 had black handlebars and the 83 are chrome?
      And I think, (actually I was just trying to find this out), the decal on the back of tail section, think the 82 had the Suzuki "S" and the 83 had the word Suzuki. (What's on yours?).
      Believe you can interchange just about anything between the two. (I know the speedo/tach components interchange).
      The footpegs are a bit different as well and their mount.

FYI - Do a search on Google for Suzuki GS1100E and you should find a number of 83 models (also look in the gallery here).

Comment

Mine has had all of the bodywork replaced and has been repainted... so it has incorrect decals. It has a lower bar also. V&H header, Individual filters, and assorted other changes have been made.
        Here are some pics of it. http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=238855&page=2

Jim

Comment

In 1983 Suzuki sold both the GS1100E (dark blue or bright red (edit)) and the GS1100ES (blue and white with quarter fairing). I always thought that the E crank was not welded in either '82 or '83, but welded on the '83 ES. Also, the tapered end of the crankshaft that was prone to breaking was increased from 25mm on the '82-'83 E to 29mm on the '83 ES and continued through the later 1150s. Earlier post said all '83 cranks were welded. I guess I'm really not sure about this detail. I know the ES ones were. Ride safe.

Comment

The "82" colors were maroon metillac & champange metillac, with silver engines, and chrome exausts. The "83" colors were dark blue metillac, and fire engine red (non metillac) with black engines, and black exaust. Acording to my manuel, all 4 valve 1100's after the middle of "82" have the welded cranks.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
              The "82" colors were maroon metillac & champange metillac, with silver engines, and chrome exausts. The "83" colors were dark blue metillac, and fire engine red (non metillac) with black engines, and black exaust. Acording to my manuel, all 4 valve 1100's after the middle of "82" have the welded cranks.
              Only Some of the crank pins were welded in late 82 and on. not all the pins were welded except on warranty cranks. One of the guys told us that the warranty cranks had all the pins welded .

Comment

I think you are right slowpoke. I think it was the crank pin at the primary gear that wasn't welded. Even thru the "86" 1150's,I don't think they ever welded this one pin.

Comment

Alot of refinements are the main difference between 82 and 83. To just look at them; engine colour,wheels and exhaust are the most obvious to see. But as we all know it's what you don't see that counts.

Comment

Appreciate the info guys. I have been a "Crotch Rocket" rider for years... and know a lil about them... The GS is new to me... but it have been my desire since I was a kid. I plan on learning as I go along... hands on is the way to learn .

Jim

Comment

I'm a little lost on the colors now... I have an early 82 (crank was NOT welded, found this out the hard way), but it is a dark metallic blue, all original, and the tail section does say " Suzuki" not "S". Rphillips says the colors were marron, and champaine, Do I have something unique or is someone confused (I know I am now)?

Comment

What color is your engine & exaust? If they are not black, someone probably swaped the body parts with someone who had an "83" model. Most people, around here, always thought the burgandy & champange colors would look better with the black engine & exaust, and the Fire engine red & dark blue, would look better with the silver. I have an "83". it is dark blue metillac and has a blue Suzuki decal, just above the tail light. The mfg. date is printed on the steering head plate near the vin. Mine was made in Sept. of 82. On this same plate, after the vin. it says GS1100ED, the D is for the 83 year model. I could be wrong about the colors, but I don't think so. Also in "82" Suzuki had a promotion where if you baught a new 1100 E, you got a color matched helment. Burgandy & champange were the only color helmets I ever saw.

Comment

The '82 model has the Suzuki "S" on the tail section.

Comment

The exhaust is an aftermarket P.O.S 4 into 1, and the engine is silver.
                            It is definately an 82, but I have seen other 82 zuk's in the same blue, with suzuki over the taillight, were there that many that have had body swaps. I know of at least 4, including mine.

Comment

If your "82" is blue, and you have seen other "82"'s the same color blue, I must must be wrong. Sorry for the bad imfo. quickie, Have you seen the "83" blue? Is your "82" the same color blue? Also yours is an early "82", without the welded crank, what is the mfg date, and VIN #?

Comment

Working...
                              X