Changing front wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing front wheel?

Hi! My '82 GS1000G has served me well for almost 11 years now and this bike is a definate keeper! However, I've been told that reducing the front wheel size will improve cornering and handling on curvy roads (that's basically what we do in Norway; riding exhilirating curvy roads). My question is:
    Will reducing wheel size from 19" to 17" have a noticeable effect?
    Did other GS's come with 17" front? (do not want different looking wheels front and back)
    How do on adjust the speedo to the correct ratio after such a change?

Any other thoughts and suggestions are most welcome!

Regards
    Rune M. Jonassen

I'm bumping this because I am considering it as well. I have a 19" fron on my GS1000G and I'm considering an 18 or a 17.

Comment

Well hell, I'll bump it again. I've searched the forum with no sucess so far. The question is... Is there a Suzuki Mag from the right era (my bike is an 81) 18" or 17" that is a straight bolt on to the front?

Comment

I believe you are correct. Decreasing the front tire size will alter the fashion that the machine enters turns. Notice that the newer "crotch-rockets" all have smaller front wheels.

Comment

I wouldn't do it. It will adversely affect the rake of the bike and reduce clearance as well.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I'm pretty sire you wont find a 17" wheel to fit directly into your forks without some fairly involved mods, a later model front end is the easier option

Heres a few tips i've picked up on gs handling over the years i hope they are of some use :-D
            Front end.... fit progressive springs good quality oil & mess with the settings/spacers/oil level untill you get the correct amount of sag as per the fitting instructions, make sure tyre pressures are correct (dont rely on garage air lines for this) this should be a massive improvement over stock 20 year old suspension :-D

presuming you want the bike to turn quicker push the forks through the yokes by up to a maximum of 10mm the front end should now feel more planted :-D

Back end ...... theres not too much you can do here apart from fitting good quality ajustable shocks & setting the sag similar to what you did at the front, longer shocks will raise the back & have a similar effect to dropping the front be be wary of combining the two again check tyre pressures

check all bushings & bearings both front & back, replace if needed & when all that lot is done thats probably the best hanling you will get out of any gs without frame bracing & complete suspension swaps

hope it helps :-D

Comment

Thanks Tone. I'll follow those suggestions. I know the previous owner had the forks professionally rebuilt. I'll contact him and find out if they put progressive springs in them (doubt it), and I'll also go through your other suggestions. I had planned on that anyway. I may still look at an 18" at some point. I think you are right that a 17" is too small without a swap. Now that I've got the engine running so well the handling is starting to worry me. Carbs rebuild with a dyno kit, pods, new igniter, dyna coils, new wires, etc... all that pwer with a slightly wobbly front end and a rear that sometimes moves like a cheap exotic dancer has me a little spooked. I already put new progressive shocks on the back.

Comment

Working...
              X