Fork boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork boots?

Like old parchment, he dust seals on my 78 GS1000E have crumbled to dust. Likely I'll just replace them, but has anyone ever put on fork boots instead? If so, how'd they turn out and what kind are they?

I used shock boots on snowmobiles for years until I realized how much more they ruin the shock seals and shafts. Of course, a snowmobile is different, but the concept is the same. Moisture is the killer, and the fork boots condense even when it's not raining, so you have twice as much moisture in there at all times. A fork seal is a lot cheaper to replace than a fork tube that is pitted with rust.

Oh, and you can't put boots on instead, you still need seals to keep the oil in the forks, so it would be in addition to.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Let me clarify...

No, it would be instead, not in addition to. I wrote that correctly.

The dust seals (Suzuki's label, not mine) I am referring to are the outer dust seals, dust covers, fork scrapers or fork wipers, not the actual fork seals that lie underneath. I am fully aware that you need seals to keep oil in things like forks. In fact, I have new seals on order because the current seals stopped doing their job. Perhaps your GS doesn't have these nifty dust wiper widgets?

Your point about additional condensation within the boot makes sense, but there IS A WORLD of difference between a sled and a bike. That said, like you, I too am familiar with snowmobiles as I wrenched on them professionally for nearly ten years. I never installed a boot on a snowmobile shock for obvious reasons, but boots are often run on dirt bikes and street bikes for protection from debris and improved seal life. Exactly what the dust wipers do, just a different look.

Comment

I'm wondering about some sort of shield setup -- you see these on a few newer with upside down forks. Gold Wings and some sport tourers with fairings like the ST1100 and such have these built in to the front fenders.

I think if you can keep the arthropod carcasses and incoming rocks off the exposed fork tubes, it gives you most of the protection of boots without the grunge and water buildup issues.

Who had the stupid idea to unshroud fork tubes in the first place?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Surly
          <snip> but boots are often run on dirt bikes and street bikes for protection from debris and improved seal life. Exactly what the dust wipers do, just a different look.
          Exactly why I ordered these . The original rubber dust boots on my bike are dry-rotted to the point they are about to fall off... Certianly not doing their job! I got those Dennis Kirk booties to avoid dropping the forks (the seals are fine right now).. They wrap around & velcro. I plan to take them off every so often & clean them & the underlying portion of the fork tubes off...

Comment

Cool

Those booties look like they might be neoprene. I have seen these on mountain bikes before, but never used them myself.

They are also a little cheaper than the rubber wipers that come on the bike. I just ordered new ones and they were 20.00 for the pair.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer

Who had the stupid idea to unshroud fork tubes in the first place?
              Excellent question! The answer is: The Chopper Guys. Seriously, the removal of the metal or rubber fork covering began back in the mid 60's and early 70's when long extended forks became the cool thing to do. Long lean legs identified the bike as a 'chopper' even if not a thing was cut on the frame. Anyway the manufacturers, always looking to save a buck and sell more bikes, copied this trend and it continues to this day, except on some of the shrouded H-D tourers and dirt bikes.

And I might add when fork construction went from external to internal springing. This also took place in the same time frame.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2006, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I am using these seal savers on my Bandit. I had to remove the stock plastic protectors when I mounted the aftermarket brace.

My suspension guy gave them to me to try when he re-valved the forks. Not totally sold on them yet, but they are hidden on the Bandit by the bodywork. They are mostly a dirtbike application, but I figure they can't hurt.

Ride On, Ed.

2005 GSF1200SZ
                1992 900SS
                1983 GS750ED

Comment

Come to think of it, the Ducati Monster I slobbered on last Sunday had a pair of the Noj booties on the upside down forks. Ducati Red, of course.

Do you have to disassemble the forks to put the Seal Savers on? It's hard to tell from the photos whether they wrap around and fasten or you have to slide them down the tube. I know the Noj booties use velcro.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The seal savers slide on, no velcro.

I would not have dropped the tubes just for them, I put them on when the tubes were off the bike for the gold valve install. I figured if I did not like the look, I could simply cut them off.

Ride On, Ed.
                    2005 GSF1200SZ
                    1992 900SS
                    1983 GS750ED

Comment

Working...
                    X