79 gs850 coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs850 coil

i just bought my first bike and to get it running it needs coils, im very anxious to ride before the season is over but the cheapest coils ive found are $200. i cant get these soon enough so do i have any other choices. Can I get used coils if so where would i find them locally(i live in the dayton oh area)? im hoping to have it running this weekend so any advice would be apreciated!

I just replaced the stock coils on my '79 GS850G with new ones from Dyna. I had to cut the power wires on them but I left enough to splice on to. The high tension plug wires and stock caps are still attached. They are working coils. If you want them they're yours, just pay for the shipping. PM me if you are interested.

Comment

The only used coils I know about would be hit or miss on E-bay or a local shop that parts out old motorcyles.

Before you go out and buy new coils and shelling out a couple hundred bucks, seriously consider a Dyna S ignition and coil assembly. Check out z1enterprises http://www.z1enterprises.com/ for $240 you can get a much stronger and more reliable ignition AND coils that are a great improvement over your stock system. I put one on my 850 this spring at the recommendation of people on this forum and its been a great improvement and much less hassle.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2006, 04:15 PM.

Comment

same Q

Hi all, new owner of a '79 GS 750. Figured I'd post here because basicly I have the same question. I have found these 'el cheapo' coils on JC Whitney and no I dont have $200 to chuck into coils either. Will these work till the time comes where I can afford the pricer stuff? If not what model bikes also work with the 750 so I know what to look for when I troll on Ebay or at the junk yards?
        And I am still using points.

Comment

Are these the coils you found in the JCWhitney catalogue?
          http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/B...014397/c-10111

Don't know much about these. But you'll need the dual output coils which aren't very much cheaper than stock OEM. Also if you have points ignition you will need 5 ohm coils I believe.

Changing the subject, you'll probably get better results by starting your own thread. More people will see it.

And welcome to the forum.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2006, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark
            Are these the coils you found in the JCWhitney catalogue?
            http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/B...014397/c-10111

Don't know much about these. But you'll need the dual output coils which aren't very much cheaper than stock OEM. Also if you have points ignition you will need 5 ohm coils I believe.

Changing the subject, you'll probably get better results by starting your own thread. More people will see it.

And welcome to the forum.
            Yep the top ones come in duel outputs but there not recomended for 4 cyl engines? Not sure why this is the case because on the 750 two cyl fire at the same time anyway. From what I understand one is just harmlessly fireing on the exhaust stroke. Unless the alt output is that much more on 4's that the coil cant handle it. I'll see if I can get some info on these as they dont say if there 3 or 5 ohm either. Guess i'll see if I can hunt some stock coils down localy in the meantime.

Comment

pm sent onchiman

Comment

hopefully it will get a full makeover this winter w/upgraded parts i just want it to run rite now, thanks for the info everyone

Comment

Working...
                X