1980 GS750E carb jetting Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750E carb jetting Question

OK guys and gals I just got my 750e running and it seems to be running rich and is quite hard to get started but once warm starts real easy. Anyway bike has V&H 4 into 1 megaphone and clamp on filters. Seems to run fine up to 5000 rpm once warm but then it just coughs and sputters. Does anyone have any idea of what the jetting should be with individual pods and the pipe and also what would cause it to be difficult to start? Tight intake valves? any help would be apprecaited. oh yeah the bike has stock carbs.

Get a dynojet stage 3 jetting kit. It will save you a few headaches.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What type of pods? Are they foam/sponge or the K&N/Emgo type. The foam/sponge type restrict air flow more than the K&N/Emgo type and thusly you won't have to worry as much about changing the needle or needle position.

YOu might try to turn the mixture screws out some to see if that will help it start easier. As for top end sputtering you might try to use a main in the 130-140 range.

The suggestion above is correct. The dyna-kit will save you alot of time and frustration.....but it will cost around $120.00. However, if you have a bunch of mains of larger sizes sittin' around you could try to find a combo that works.

If you are using the K&N type filter you may have to drill you slide holes. I run both K&N and foam (Unifilters) on a number of my bikes and I have always had to drill the slide hole when using the K&Ns.

I really need to know what type of pods you have.

Comment

I have V&H pods which are similar to the K&N. They could use a claening though now that I look at them.

Comment

Make sure you oil them after the cleaning.

I have in the past found combinations of jets that work with the K&N-type pods but each bike is, for whatever reason, different.

On my 80' GS750 I use K&Ns with a stock pilot, a drilled slide hole and a 132 main.

On my 81' GS750 I use foam pods (Unifilters) a stock pilot and 124 mains.

I don't think you need to be too concerned about the size of the drill-bit to drill the slide hole. Just pick a bit that is only slightly bigger than the stock hole. Your biggest problem may or may not be that you don't have an air corrector. You may be able to get by this by adjusting you mixture screws (out gets you more fuel, not more air).

Again, I'll tell you that the dude that said that a Dynojet kit is the way to go is correct. I only choose this route because I have plenty of jets, some experience, plenty of time and an assortment of bikes to ride when the one I'm piddling with is down. In addition, truly the only reason I choose the "pod-route" is because the pods allow easy access to the carbs. I hate the stock air-boxes. In fact, the changes in performance are really not that impressive; especially for someone like me that rarely gets his machines over 80mph.

Good Luck, if you have any more questions just keep posting.

Comment

Working...
          X