X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top end problem under load

85 GS 550 ES
    Has about 21k on it
    The bike won't do over 55 mph with the choke open all the way. It'll start lunging like it's out of gas. It'll rev up to redline just fine with no load on the motor. If I choke it while on the highway it'll start pulling like it should and I've gotten it up to 80 before letting off but it feels like it's got a lot more to go, so it doesn't seem to be an ignition problem, but a lack of fuel problem. I've cleaned the carbs twice, made sure fuel comes out of the tank good, and messed with the float levels. Would having the float level's too high cause this problem? It definately doesn't run rich, but I just checked the level and it's at 16.5 mm, which seems way to high. It's got a stock style air cleaner, stock exhaust, and stock jetting. No fuel filter other then the in-tank one and that's been checked.

By the way, I bought this from the original owner in '91 and it's always sorta had this problem since I've owned it. It would never do over 75, but choking never made a difference. I never really worried about it because I drive it 99% in town. A few years ago the ignition died on it so it sat for a couple of years and I finally got the parts it needed but the carb problem got a lot worse while sitting which is why I cleaned them up. The guy I got it from said it would do 115 no problem, but it sat for a while before I got it from him. I'd like to take it on the highway now, but it can't get up to speed and choking it for real driving is a bad idea cause it makes slowing down quickly dangerous at best.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

If choking makes it run at full throttle, you have a gas delivery problem - at full throttle. Sounds like the main jets are blocked. Using the choke bypasses the regular fuel delivery system & dumps extra gas into the cylinder.

Can't comment at the float height, don't know what it should be, except that float height is more of a fine adjustment than a major one, unless it is wildy off. Find the spec & set the float height there, then chase down the major FT problem. Sure sounds like jet blockage.

Other possibilities - mainfold leaks stealing vacuum so your slides are not going full up, or a torn/leaking diaphragm or two.

Good luck.

Comment

I am having the same problem except mine is a little more extreme. I just took off the carbs and put the floats where they where supposed to be, cleaned everything out and inspected. Put everything back together and now mine won't even go over 6k in neutral. I played with the choke on mine when I was driving it around hoping like hell that it would clean out and run like it should. It didn't really seem to make any difference. I am checking to make sure that the timing is advancing like it should tomorrow and also checking the spark. I am thinking that it is something else because I set everything very strickly to the book and this bike has been messed with badly by someone who should not of even sat on it. But, I am going to adjust the floats on the fatter side of 21.4-23.4. But that recommended float level is for an 80GS750L. If you don't have a clymer manual for your bike you should deff get one. Let me know what you find out. I am still waiting to hear recommendations for mine.

Comment

Try running on prime on your petcock. Sounds like a gas starvation problem.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Are shoe talking to me Chef? If so, (i know you are probably going to tell me to just get a new one), but on my petcock, the lever is gone and the little white turny thing is exposed. Today after I put everything back together I messed with that a little. I will play with it some tomorrow, but when I did mess with it I couldn't get it to do anything. Its possible that my carbs were full, but maybe I was just going through my second long day of gas fumes. Should the line be vertical for the prime to be on? It has been horizontal since I have owned the bike.

Comment

The 80 petcocks don't have a lever. Slot up and down is prime and back and forth for run. Sorry Mike, not trying to steal your thread.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X