Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big ? on Electrex Wiring

Hi, I have mounted a new Electrex stator & R/R on my '81 GS 850 G/

I had run the 3 yellow leads from the stator direct to the R/R.

I see in both the wiring diagram & on the bike that the WHITE/GREEN lead from the stator goes to "some rectangular object", makes an abrupt "U" turn, transmogrifies itself into a WHITE/RED lead and then returns to the R/R. At least that's what the 2 diagrams I have show. I have not dug into the wiring harness to follow it in real life.

Questions-

1. Can I just bypass this interesting routing & run that lead direct to the R/R without doing harm? (I have not run the bike nor even hooked up the battery yet)

2. Is that rectangular box just a plug of some sort or does that WHITE/GREEN lead perform some magic inside the little rectangle like connecting to something else in the system. Both diagrams show it as a longish rectangle with a line running horizontally across, by me it signifies a plug.

3. If nothing is really going on why on earth would they do this?

Thanks for your help, & thanks to Keith for the noble attempt to teach me basic electric theory. I do have more questions for you but have to get running here first.

Thanks![-o<

DH

1. Yes

2. It's just a connection. It serves no purpose. On bikes with a headlight switch, this stator lead is switched on and off with the headlight so that it charges the battery only when the light is on. On a bike with an "always on" headlight, this stator lead follow the same route to the headlight shell, but because there is no headlight switch it is always connected.

3. It's a totally unnecessary wiring scheme for bikes without a headlight switch. I can only speculate that it was easier and more economical for manufacturing inventory control to use a single wire harness designed to be usable with a headlight switch than to design a separate harness with a slight difference.

Comment

Big ? on Electrex wiring

Thanks Boondocks!:-D

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
        1. Yes

2. It's just a connection. It serves no purpose. On bikes with a headlight switch, this stator lead is switched on and off with the headlight so that it charges the battery only when the light is on. On a bike with an "always on" headlight, this stator lead follow the same route to the headlight shell, but because there is no headlight switch it is always connected.

3. It's a totally unnecessary wiring scheme for bikes without a headlight switch. I can only speculate that it was easier and more economical for manufacturing inventory control to use a single wire harness designed to be usable with a headlight switch than to design a separate harness with a slight difference.
        Excellent answer

Hap

Comment

Clear, complete questions, clear complete answers.

I just LOVE it when the universe hums in perfect balance like this...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Aye, bin the headlamp loop, waste of time, I've been running an Electrex RR with the loop bypassed for a few months now with no problems (I've chucked the trickle charger in the cupboard).

Comment

Working...
            X