gs450L o-ring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450L o-ring questions

Hey all. I'm new here. I have an '80-'82 (not 100% sure which but I will find out tonight) gs450L. I got it 3 years ago and I never really was able to get it running. Using the air-fuel-spark idea I've narrowed it down to the carbs, but I've been dreading and putting off doing a carb rebuild (I've mucked with the carbs a lot but never done a complete rebuild). I have gathered from this site that the best thing to do is only replace the o-rings and let everything else soak in carb cleaner overnight. I was hoping to get the kit from www.cycleorings.com but I just have no clue whether this kit will work for my bike or not. I emailed the guy about it but he suggested I ask here. Does anyone know if this kit will work with my carbs? If not, is there a kit (or kits) I can purchase to obtain new o-rings?

Thanks in advance.

Because it was cheap, I ordered one of those CV oring sets for my 81 450... Unfortunately, the orings I really needed were the ones on the main jet (brass? tube thing w/several holes along it within which the slide needle rides) and the kit did not have the right size. It was Sunday nite & didn't feel like waiting so I sqeezed the closest one on. When I was all done, the bike ran like new.

I didn't do a complete rebuild/soak on them (e.g. didn't separate or do choke circuit which was fine), just carb sprayed, poked & air sprayed all the other passages & soaked the bowls. Since my other orings liked fine, didn't bother even trying to replace them.

If you pull the main jets out you will likely need new orings for them, otherwise they will be loose & possibly leak or move... So maybe you could take the carbs apart & see which orings you need & find them locally.

Comment

I did this not too far back... disassemble your carbs.... note which orings you need and order them from bikebandit... it's that simple... and no worries about messing up the carbs on your first try... if i can do it you sure as heck can... and besides once you get into them they are really quite simple.... have you checked the carb cleanup series on this site?????? http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Good luck man!

Comment

Hey, thanks for the help guys. I'm going to order that oring kit and take apart my carbs this weekend. Hopefully between the kit and bikebandit I'll be able to get all the orings replaced.

By the way, you wouldn't know how to tell what year my bike is would you? I always thought I remembered it being a 1981 but I can't find any numbers anywhere to verify this.

Comment

halleluia

\\/ \\/ \\/

I did it!!!!! My bike finally runs!

I just tore apart the carbs completely, replaced the o-rings on the needle jets, cleand all the parts and cleared out all the holes and dipped the bodies in carb dip for an hour each. The thing started RIGHT up and ran strong. HAHAH this is so awesome. Thanks for all the help and info forum!!!

now if I can just hash out these electrical problems...

Comment

Working...
          X