Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know why Progressive springs are so DAMNED short?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know why Progressive springs are so DAMNED short?

WHY??!! I'm going to place a call into their customer service, but first want to get everyone's feedback on this phenomena........

Why on earth are progressive fork springs so damned short? Technically, they don't even come near the minimum spec limits for fork spring length that is published in our manuals. I'm tired of installing these in my bikes only to find out that I need to put a 2" spacer on top of them, and in the case of my current bike, a 1981 Yammy XJ750R (Seca), I had to put a spacer that was about 3" in there!

WTF?? Why don't they just make their springs longer?!

I swear on the next bike I get I'm just going to put a spacer on top of the already existing fork springs! A 29.5" worn out fork spring with a 0.5" spacer has got to have a better feel than a 27" fork spring with a 3" spacer!

Please - someone either confirm my hostility or proove my ignorance!

Chad

I just installed my first set in my forks last night. They are the same exact length as the stock ones I took out. Sounds like you got a wrong part maybe?

Comment

Yours was probably one of the lucky bikes (and rare bikes) on the application list that didn't require a spacer. I did think I possibly got the wrong part no., but I checked and double checked the part no. and the application list, and they are indeed for my bike. From what I've seen they make a set of springs for lets say 20 bikes, and maybe only 5 of them won't require a spacer. The other 15 will though. I think they need to stop being lazy and just design another set of springs for those other 15 bikes!

Hey, here's an idea...... I'm going to start up my own company making fork springs..... one size fits all*

*Please note most models will require fitment of a spacer

LOL

Chad

Comment

Originally posted by crc1214
        Yours was probably one of the lucky bikes (and rare bikes) on the application list that didn't require a spacer. I did think I possibly got the wrong part no., but I checked and double checked the part no. and the application list, and they are indeed for my bike. From what I've seen they make a set of springs for lets say 20 bikes, and maybe only 5 of them won't require a spacer. The other 15 will though. I think they need to stop being lazy and just design another set of springs for those other 15 bikes!

Hey, here's an idea...... I'm going to start up my own company making fork springs..... one size fits all*

*Please note most models will require fitment of a spacer

LOL

Chad
        Oh man! LOL!

Yeah your right man, sorry, I got an 83 1100. One of the few bikes on the list that does not require the spacer

For what it is worth, those springs along with some handle bar and controls adjustments turned my ride into a completely different bike! They are worth the pain. Although as noted, for me it was nothing. I didn't even need a jack. I just did one fork at a time. Unscrew the top, pull the old one out, put the new one in, done! I wish everything was that easy.

Hope it works out for you, I know there was stuff in there about cutting the spacers to length :-?

Comment

Now if you had an L model you could add two inches to your spacer length because the Progressive folks tell you not to use the smaller spring Suzuki adds to make up for the fact that L forks are two inches longer than the other model forks. Three inch long spacers are no big deal, neither are five, really. What bothers you about using them? My XS2 Yamaha had a stock spacer that was over three inches long.

Comment

I just put new progressive fork springs in my '79 550E. No spacer at all ! In fact the original setup had two springs in each fork, one short and one long. The progressive took the place of both of them. Works purrfecto!

Comment

The overall length of the spring doesn't make one iota of difference in the way it functions, so why does it bother you?

You do have to go to the trouble of cutting spacers to proper length, but at least Progressive now kindly includes a hunk of PVC for that purpose. All you have to scare up is a hacksaw and possibly a ruler -- about as easy as it gets.

As mentioned, one fork spring part number can fit a huge variety of bikes and work great if you leave cutting the spacer up to the installer.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

just put a set in an '80 GS1000G

The set I installed were longer than OEM by about 2 inches. I made shorter spacers out of PVC. Superb handling and I highly recommend the upgrade.

Don
                '80 GS1000G running
                '80 GS1100E almost running

Reynoldsburg, Oh

Are you the same Chad that attended/worked at Columbus State?

Comment

making your own spacer also allows you to tune the pre load. a smaller spacer is going to make it softer and a long one will make it harder.

Comment

The simple reason you need a spacer is that there are only so many diameters available for fork tubes, and a small selection of spring strength will accomodate a wide variety of riders. So...why re-engineer an entire spring when all you need is to add length? Just use a spacer.

Right now I am taking a break from installing Progressives in my son's Yamaha Venture Royale. I just measured the springs: old springs, 18" with a 3" spacer. New springs, 21" no spacer. The wire on the springs is much thicker, .202" vs. .170", so I am looking forward to the "new" ride. The stock springs were a bit mushy and relied on added air, but there was an air leak, so we are changing the springs.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X