Vacuum line to carbs/petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum line to carbs/petcock

OK, got the battery, now the bike won't run at all...at least before I could get it to, with a little give on the throttle...
    I noticed the "mechanic" put a cap over the vacuum going to the carbs (he was running the bike through the fuel line using another type of portable gas conatiner...
    Anyway, pulled that plug off, and connected the vacuum line..no fuel going into the fuel line...I I sucked on the vacuum line, and fuel then does flow into the line..
    What gives?? BTW...he DID have the bike running before...

Originally posted by speedzter2000
    OK, got the battery, now the bike won't run at all...at least before I could get it to, with a little give on the throttle...
    I noticed the "mechanic" put a cap over the vacuum going to the carbs (he was running the bike through the fuel line using another type of portable gas conatiner...
    Anyway, pulled that plug off, and connected the vacuum line..no fuel going into the fuel line...I I sucked on the vacuum line, and fuel then does flow into the line..
    What gives?? BTW...he DID have the bike running before...
    Jan, that vacuum line goes between your petcock and the carbs. The thing is, I am not sure where on the carbs you have but it is usually between 1&2 or 2&3. You should see where it goes on the petcock. You can put the petcock on prime for now to get the bike running but remember to turn it off when you shut it off.

You should be able to see where it goes. Which end was plugged? The end that would go on the fuel petcock or the end that would go on the carbs?

Comment

The part that was capped off was on the carb (near #2). I hooked up a new line, sucked for a while, (sounds sick, I feel silly doing it!!)maybe not long enough to get the carbs filled...The bike DID run when he had it hooked up to the portable gas thing, but he also had the vacuum thing capped off. I did connect everyting back...and still, can see that the fuel is not coming out of the fuel line...But, if I suck on the vacuum line, fuel will come out of the fuel line/petcock.
      I dont have a prime setting, BTW...just run/res

Comment

Originally posted by speedzter2000
        The part that was capped off was on the carb (near #2). I hooked up a new line, sucked for a while, (sounds sick, I feel silly doing it!!)maybe not long enough to get the carbs filled...The bike DID run when he had it hooked up to the portable gas thing, but he also had the vacuum thing capped off. I did connect everyting back...and still, can see that the fuel is not coming out of the fuel line...But, if I suck on the vacuum line, fuel will come out of the fuel line/petcock.
        I dont have a prime setting, BTW...just run/res
        So you have to pull it off to suck on it right? And your leaving it on the petcock while sucking on it (this really sounds bad :-? ) not the carbs right? You pull it off the carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
          So you have to pull it off to suck on it right? And your leaving it on the petcock while sucking on it (this really sounds bad :-? ) not the carbs right? You pull it off the carbs?
          Yes...that's it...even took off the fuel line, and if I suck on the vacuum line, fuel will come out, but as soon as I put it to the carb, no go...Didint do this before...should I try filling the carbs, or can I bypass this vacuum?? Just want to get the dang thing running..

Comment

OK...got it "running", but now it bogs down on idle, and the choke it dies on as well...guess I needed to fill the carbs better...Off to search the forums for the next problem!!

Comment

Well if fuel flows if you suck manually, but not when hooked to the carb, then the vacuum port on carb #2 must be blocked or plugged up. You are probably getting a little vacuum, but not enough to open the petcock. Try to blow into this port with some air to see if you can clear it out. Otherwise you may have to pull off the carbs to see if something is restricting the vacuum.

Comment

What he said. Also, to make sure to bowls are full, your petcock should have a "prime" position. If you put it in this position it is wide open. Fuel flows freely. That should fill them right up.

Comment

OK....I did get it running..I sucked, I blew...and voila! It ran, but...bogged down on choke...forget the throttle. The a-hole mechanic had ALL of the screws turned out differently...I re-set them, 1.5 turns out...got the bike to run without the choke, but still bogging a bit...THEN....gas EVERYWHERE!! ARGH!!!!!!!!! Sooooo...someone else..local...PROMISED me, and all this other BS....He could get it running. Not that I give up...but, I live in a condo...and these old people are complaining about me working on my bike, cars, etc.... (yeah, they aint got nothin' better to do)
                  So....this is the LAST time it goes...I will be bringing the other guys to small claims court for dis-repair
                  You guys have always been a great help! I wish I had a garage, and a bit more time!

Comment

Sorry to hear this. One thing, make sure you or whoever works on it checks the oil for gas. If you had fuel everywhere and were playing with the prime position this is one thing that needs to be checked. If the oil level has risen or smells of gas, change the oil and filter. Drain it well! If there is gas in there and you run it that way for an extended period you will be rebuilding the lower end of the engine

Comment

Working...
                    X