If it ain't broke...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it ain't broke...

I bought my '79 GS850 in 2001, it had 17,863kms on the clock and had sat in a garage for 20 years full of gas with fuel stabilizer. I've changed the oils and brake fluids, replaced the tires, cam cover gasket, tach cable, spark plugs and the tubes from the airbox to the carbs. Since then all I've done is run a fair amount of Premium gas through the carbs (Sometimes at high rates!)

The odometer reads 28,995kms now, it runs like a top - starts and idles great, no strange noises, no braking problems, no wobbles or weaves - nothing.

There are people in this forum with tons of experience and knowledge of these bikes, so my question is, are there items that should be looked at before I trust it for longer rides? So far it's given me no reason not to trust it...

Dan.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2006, 09:08 PM.

Wow, you brought that one back from a heck of a long sleep. It seeems like youve basically got it covered, But Id check the electrical system for bad grounds/connections. Break out ye olde voltmeter and go through the stator papers. Also take a look at the plug wires and boots, if they are dryrotted replace them. You dont want a wet plug stranding you in a rainstorm in the middle of nowhere (ask me how I know). Just for cheap insurance, you may want to pick up a spare set of points and condensers too.

Comment

I haven't even seen the points and condensors, should be fairly straight forward to change them I hope - I purchased a shop manual for it right after I bought it. (the local dealer had two) It definately wouldn't hurt to swap out the plug wires, I ridden some in the rain with no problems but why chance it.

Thanks!
      Dan.

Comment

Long trip?
        How's the chain? How many miles on it?
        How long has it been since the valve clearances were checked?
        The carbs may need a vacuum synch.
        Just a few basics that may need attention, even if you think they're fine.

PS: Check the clutch cable ends. They generally break one steel strand at a time. Especially at the hand lever. They can slowly break, undetected, until only a few strands are left and then...pop.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
          How's the chain? How many miles on it?
          \\/ Oh wait, there was an L wasn't there with a chain?

He's right about the valves and carb synch! By the way Keith, thank for the help with raising my needles. Went one notch......perfecto.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2006, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I doubt the valves have ever been adjusted unless the original owner had it done, do the clearances need to be checked if they're still quiet?

I'll be sure and take a look at the clutch cable.

I'll have to find someone to sync the carbs if it needs it. How do you determine if its required or do you just routinely have it done? (how frequently?)

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending a few bucks on it - I love this bike!

No chain on this one.

I went for a ride with some friends last weekend and got some great shots of my bike, I was going to post some - but couldn't quite figure it out. I'll work on it.

Thanks for taking the time,
            Dan.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2006, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Canada Dan
              I doubt the valves have ever been adjusted unless the original owner had it done, do the clearances need to be checked if they're still quiet?
              As the valves wear they get TIGHTER clearances. So its important to check them. If they get too tight over time they don't close correctly and wear much faster. Better a little loose than too tight.

Comment

Dan, this is important. You need to take off the rear wheel and grease the drive splines. They are probably dry and will wear quickly. Use a high molybdenum content grease, Honda shops sell one for Gold Wings. Or one of the synthetic bearing greases. I use a Valvoline synthetic product on my Concours. After you lube them anytime you take off the rear wheel lube them again.

Comment

I wondered about that, I had the back wheel off a couple of weeks ago to have the back tire changed. There is a bit of something on the spline - I thought it looked like graphite or something. I wasn't sure so I just smeared what was there into the spline and left it at that. I'll find some of the product you mentioned and get it on there.

Thanks,
                  Dan.

Comment

I believe the factory calls for a valve clearance check every 7,500 miles.
                    You can't always go by sound if the valves need adjustment. My experience is that these bikes keep their clearances well, but I've often checked on various bikes and found some too tight and some too loose. I would find the time and have them checked.
                    A vacuum synch is also basic maintenance. There's no set miles as to when/if they lose their synch, but they do eventually need a re-synch. The bike will run much better when synched well.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

A small item I would attend to is replacing the fuel line, and adding an in-line filter.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Much appreciated. I'll work through these items and continue to enjoy the bike.

It just works so well that its easy to become complacent and ride without giving a lot of thought to maintenance.

I figured if the bike had any weak spots you guys would point them out! Thanks for taking the time guys.

Dan.

Comment

Working...
                        X