float level on gs 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

float level on gs 850

whats the correct float height , 23-25 mm my book says but measured from top of the round part of the float to where the gasket goes on??? Is this ok??

Ideally it's supposed to be measured from the bottom of the float (remember it's upside down) to the flat area where the gasket goes, without the gasket on. There is a thin ridge running around the sealing area so put your straightedge either side of it. This will give you the measurement points the factory manual indicates. In practice however, the engineers have given you a range of a good 2mm so if you don't want to risk tearing the gasket by trying to remove it (they do stick pretty good sometimes), just measure from the gasket and subtract 1mm from whatever value you want to set the float at. I've found the gasket is about 1mm thick. Example, you want a float height of 23 mm so if you remove the gasket it's a 23mm measurement, if you leave the gasket on your measurement will be 22mm from the gasket to the float bottom. That's 22mm plus the thickness of the gasket, 1mm equals 23mm. Bottom line is as long as you get the height within the specified range, your golden. I leave the gasket on and measure 23mm. Never had a problem. No need to over think it, ....like I just did!

Comment

thanks very much, my carb rebuild is almost done, wanted to be sure of the floats

Comment

I found that float height is pretty important to getting good smooth throttle response in the low to midrange. 0.5mm adjustments make a difference, so don't just get 'em in the ballpark. Mine ended up on the low side of the range (slightly richer) for the best throttle response.

YMMV, of course.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X