turn signal relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signal relay

Where is the turn signal relay on a 1979 GS850GN? The Clymer manual says it's under the right side cover, but the only thing there is (what I think is) the turn signal control unit. There doesn't seem to be a flasher relay on the left side either, as far as I can tell.
    The bike has a Vetter fairing on it if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Morgan

the turn signal relay is suspose to be under the right side cover next to the turnsignal control box.
    it will have only two wires going to it, and it is suspose to be mounted next to the rear brake fluid reservour.

Comment

My 400 has one under the right side cover and my 1100 has one in the middle under the tank.

Steve

Comment

After looking closer at the wiring diagram for your bike (79, 850gn) the relay may not be were it is suspose to be, but it will be somewhere around the battery, if it is still original it will have "ND nipon denso" on it.

1980 and later had three wires, the 79 only had two wires.

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
          My 400 has one under the right side cover and my 1100 has one in the middle under the tank.

Steve
          The thing under the tank is the control unit for the self-cancelling. This is a rectangular unit with the wires epoxied in. You should also have a relay somewhere, normally under the right side cover. The 400 probably doesn't have the self-cancel feature.

Kim

Comment

Leon: I found the self cancelling unit on the right hand side of my battery. It has 6 wires on it. The other part I am talking about has 3 wires and I'm pretty sure it is the flasher. At first I thought the CDI was a flasher (same size as a flasher, but 1/4 the size of the CDI on my 400) but noticed it has a lot of wires on it. Who knows, his may be stuffed into the headlight bucket. I found fuses inside of mine ! You'd think they would put everything in one place...

Anyway, did you find your flasher?

Steve

Comment

Pincushion:
              It is supposed to be under the right cover, and likely is. If your signals work even part-time, pull off the covers and listen for the click the relay makes. Even if it has failed, it may still make some small noise.

Steve:
              If you really need a flasher, try walking around in downtown Toronto...if its a warm evening, you will find one in every third doorway.... 8O
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

On my 1979 850G the turn signal control unit is under the right side cover, but more importantly the relay is a two wire unit as described but it is on the LEFT side of the battery box beside the fuse panel.

Comment

I found it

It took a while, but eventually I found the relay. The connector was just dangling loose behind the battery box, and there was no relay in it. Until I realized the colours of the wires were right, I thought it was just an extra un-used connection. Oops. Now all that remains to get the bike road worthy is mufflers, tires and a retaining spring for the rear brake. And of course, spring. I can hardly wait.

Thanks to everyone,
                  Morgan

Comment

Working...
                  X