Preload shock for gs750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preload shock for gs750e

I'm wondering if the preload dials would still work, i don't understand the shock system, thought about replacing it one time found out now that it's dissconntiuned. however i did turn the dial didn't seem like anything was happening, however and maybe it's just me, but the bike don't seem to corner as well now on sharp, short turns. i jumped up and down on the seat a bunch of times didn't seem any siffer. my question is since i know this hasn't been replaced or maintained since 83 are the dials still working?

thanks.

Originally posted by 83GS750E
    I'm wondering if the preload dials would still work, i don't understand the shock system, thought about replacing it one time found out now that it's dissconntiuned. however i did turn the dial didn't seem like anything was happening, however and maybe it's just me, but the bike don't seem to corner as well now on sharp, short turns. i jumped up and down on the seat a bunch of times didn't seem any siffer. my question is since i know this hasn't been replaced or maintained since 83 are the dials still working?

thanks.
    You can tell if the adjuster is still working by checking the sag after adjustment. Crank it to it's lightest position, #1, and measure the difference between the bike on its centerstand and wheel off the ground and again with the bike off the centerstand and your weight in the seat. Find a point to measure from the axle to somewhere straight up from there. The difference in the two measurements is the sag. Then crank the preload adjuster up to a higher number and see if the sag figure changes.

Comment

thank you

thanks man, i'll try that, don't have center stand anymore due to the header but i have a set of jack stands for her, so i'll set her up on that and try it. thanks again.

Happy Trails

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS750E
        thanks man, i'll try that, don't have center stand anymore due to the header but i have a set of jack stands for her, so i'll set her up on that and try it. thanks again.

Happy Trails
        The wheel has to drop so the suspension is fully extended so the stands need to be under the frame. If you can see the shock as you crank to a higher number you should be able to see the spring compress.

Comment

QUESTION....

are you talking about the dial at the top, near the mounting bolt, or the notched spring preloaders at the bottom of the spring?

If your bike has the dials at the top, they (used to) control the rebound damping, not the preload. What the posters above are suggesting is turning the notched adjusters to preload the springs and set the "sag" or ride height. Their suggestions are correct, but I got the impression you were talking about the DIAL at the top of the shock.

IF the dials are still working, the general rule of thumb is to set the number to match the notch of the spring preloader at the bottom. By now, though, the fluid inside (if it's still there) will not be acting like it should, so you might not see any difference at all.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

'83 and up Full Floaters had a shock with hydraulic preload adjustment and a dial type knob for rebound damping.

Comment

can i add fluid back into the shocks system??? i don't think either dial works, one has setting 1, 2, 3, 4, it's not set on either but inbetween one, the other dial when i turn it, the display for measurement dosen't move...outta fluid? haven't put the bike on stands yet waiting for chain n sprokets to come in.

Comment

oh yeah??

if this system is not truly working, how much does it affect the way my bike handles? doesen't seem bad to me, but who knows, maybe i'm missing out on something? what affect will raking the bike do for me?? first i heard of that was here...

Comment

think it works!

I didn't put her on stand to check the sag, but i turned the main dial, with 4 pointing to the indicator, and twisted the other nob till the mark went to 5 and dial got slighty harder to turn. went for about 3 hour ride and the bike seemed siffer, handled well and was a fun ride! hopefully this is not my imaganation. thx again.

Comment

Working...
                  X