D/FW GSers: Help with carb sync?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D/FW GSers: Help with carb sync?

I have a pair of GS850s (an 80 and an 82), neither of which is on the road right now. I've cleaned and rebuilt the carbs for one of them, but I'm at a loss as to how to bench sync them (though that may be covered in the Clymers book) and I don't have the tools or expertise to do the vacuum syncing once they're back on the bike.

Are there any kind D/FW GSers who've gone down this road before who might be willing to trade a little bit of time and tools (mercury sticks, etc.) for beer or dinner or something? I'd love to get one of these guys back on the road soon! Thanks in advance!

Randy...

P.S.-- If not, can anyone recommend the closest thing to a "take it once and it's done, won't totally rob you blind" shop in the D/FW area that would be good with these old bikes?

Randy...

Comment

Man I wish I knew of anyone.
      I would love to find someone in DFW that I could holler at myself.

"KNOCK ON WOOD"

Where you at in DFW ?

Comment

Originally posted by getsum
        Man I wish I knew of anyone.
        I would love to find someone in DFW that I could holler at myself.

"KNOCK ON WOOD"

Where you at in DFW ?
        I'm in Irving, though my dad's place, where most of the work takes place, is in Keller. I just wish I had a little more experience with this sort of stuff instead of having to rely on others to show me. It's frustrating having two bikes in the garage, a new helmet, and to get no riding done.

Do you have the same problem (carb syncing) or other issues?

Randy...

Comment

In the event that there isn't anyone in the D/FW area that can help with syncing/tuning these carbs, what are my options? Will I just need to start cold-calling shops (Mid-Cities Cycles has been mentioned as a place to check) to see if they can handle these older machines and just be prepared to pay big? I mean, what do others do? Or are the tools involved cheaper than a trip to the shop? If that's the case, where can I buy the manometer?

And if any knowledgeable D/FW GSers are seeing this for the first time, I'm offering food, drink, or treasure in exchange for a couple of hours of help. Thanks in advance!

Randy...

Comment

Originally posted by randyshipp

And if any knowledgeable D/FW GSers are seeing this for the first time, I'm offering food, drink, or treasure in exchange for a couple of hours of help. Thanks in advance!

Randy...
            ok you got my attention!
            I hadn't been in here (tech) in a while, looks like I came in just in time.
            I am not a master carb mechanic (that would be Hoomie) but I hold my own and I have a carb stick.

I am buisy this weekend but am free next saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
              ok you got my attention!
              I hadn't been in here (tech) in a while, looks like I came in just in time.
              I am not a master carb mechanic (that would be Hoomie) but I hold my own and I have a carb stick.

I am buisy this weekend but am free next saturday.
              That's excellent news. You'll have to let me know what kind of compensation you'd like! If you'd like, contact me at randyshipp@gmail.com to give directions, etc., and we can make final plans off-line. Thanks for the offer!

Ideally, what should be done before the bike gets there? Carbs back on bike, butterflies and floats set per the Clymer's book...anything else you can think of?

Randy...

Comment

Good to know fellow TEXANS are taking care of eachother.

You are GOOD GUYS..

Comment

That's excellent news. You'll have to let me know what kind of compensation you'd like! If you'd like, contact me at randyshipp@gmail.com to give directions, etc., and we can make final plans off-line. Thanks for the offer!

Ideally, what should be done before the bike gets there? Carbs back on bike, butterflies and floats set per the Clymer's book...anything else you can think of?

Randy...
                  rumor has it the best BBQ in the world can be found in Keller! =P~

you can go ahead and set the float hight and butterflys, if you are positive you got all the tiny passages for the idle speed circuts clean you can go ahead and mount the carbs and air box.

the gas tank needs to stay off as it will be in the way, I have a home made aux fuel tank we will use.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                    rumor has it the best BBQ in the world can be found in Keller! =P~
                    If you know the name of the place and what you want, I'll bring it with me. What'll you wash it down with? :-)

you can go ahead and set the float hight and butterflys, if you are positive you got all the tiny passages for the idle speed circuts clean you can go ahead and mount the carbs and air box.

the gas tank needs to stay off as it will be in the way, I have a home made aux fuel tank we will use.
                    I'm pretty confident that the carbs are good and clean. Any passage I should have been able to see through was clear, and it got a thorough soaking and spraying through passages. I think we're in good shape.

Randy...

Comment

If you know the name of the place and what you want, I'll bring it with me. What'll you wash it down with? :-)

Randy...
                      up n smoke is the name of the place there in Keller I think, and DR pepper. but we have drink machine at the shop.

Comment

Working...
                      X