Starts up on choke,dies if its off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starts up on choke,dies if its off

Recently my bike "1982 gs650e" isnt running right if i try to start it ,it wont start unless it has the choke on,if the chokes on it fires right up but if ya turn the choke off even after the bike warms up it dies right away,also if ya try to give it any gas while its running it kills it instantly.

ive adjusted these carbs till im blue in the face and cant get it dialed in any helps apprciated.

also whats the factory setting for the 82 gs650e ?

Generally, if a bike runs on the choke but not off, the problem is an intake air leak. The bike has too much air and too little fuel mixture except when the choke supplies additional fuel.

Have you made any changes to the air intake? Is it stock?

Comment

No its all stock

Comment

Then check the entire air intake system for leaks. Make sure all intake manifold carb synch screws are in place. Check for tightness of all connections and for cracks in the airbox and a tight seal of the filter in it.
        There are some O-rings between the intake manifold and the cylinder head. If they have become brittle or broken, they can leak.

If this isn't the problem, at least you have eliminated it.

Comment

I am haveing this exact problem I will check the air box and fittings this weekend. I have no Air filter in the air box. When I got the bike it didnt have it in it. Would this be enough to cause this problem. This bike set in a garage for over 10 years without being started. I took off the carbs and they looked really good to have set that long, I was able to spray carb cleaner through the jets. Is there any thing else I could try besides the above. Its a 77 GS550 by the way

Im new to the forums and have already used the advice given in these forums to figure out a problem I had for not starting at all. Im really impressed with the knowledge In here. Hopefully you can help me again.[-o<

Comment

What are your spark plugs telling you?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

spark plugs turn a dusty black if that makes sense im not a mechanic so I wouldnt know what coloring of spark plugs tell me? Hope that makes sense they are a little wet to. I just picked up a set of new plugs today.

Comment

/bump sorry if this makes anyone mad going to be working on the bike in the morning hopeing for som suggestions

Comment

Jayson, first thing you should do is get an air filter in there. It won't run right without a stock air/fuel system.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT
                    Jayson, first thing you should do is get an air filter in there. It won't run right without a stock air/fuel system.
                    Yep, I agree. But you definitely have a problem. It should be able to run without the choke with no filter, but there is no point to tuning it that way.

Make sure your vaccum line is either hooked up from the #2 carb to the petcock, or if the vaccum line is no longer needed do to a new petcock, that the #2 carb vaccum port is plugged. Have you cleaned the carbs? You might have an issue with the pilot jets or float jet needles. The choke feeds fuel from the very bottom of the float bowl through a small brass tube, directly into the carb throat. Check that the float bowls are tight and the gaskets are good. Air can get in through there believe it or not. Make sure the screws for synchronizing the carbs are tight and sealed well. They are right on the engine, on each intake manifold.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks guys ill get an air filter and check the vaccum line. I took the carbs off and took the bowls off and was able to blow carb cleaner through the jets. The float needles seemd to move up and down freely. I made my own gaskets out of gasket sheets you buy from Autozone, I couldnt get the gaskets here Ill have to order them online. As far as the Petcock It works good and dosnt leak. Again thank you! Do any of you have a trusted place to order Vintage parts from online?

Comment

Originally posted by Jayson2012
                        Thanks guys ill get an air filter and check the vaccum line. I took the carbs off and took the bowls off and was able to blow carb cleaner through the jets. The float needles seemd to move up and down freely. I made my own gaskets out of gasket sheets you buy from Autozone, I couldnt get the gaskets here Ill have to order them online. As far as the Petcock It works good and dosnt leak. Again thank you! Do any of you have a trusted place to order Vintage parts from online?
                        I use www.bikebandit.com for OEM parts and www.crc2onlinecatalog.com or www.z1enterprises.com for aftermarket replacements (like brake pads, carb rebuild kits, chains, etc.).

Comment

Working...
                        X