Throttle grip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle grip question

I’m going to be putting new handlebars and grips on my ’80 GS1000G. I’ve purchased some grips that are a little longer than the original grips. A ½ to ¾ of an inch longer.

Here is the question:

The throttle control has a solid end cap (white plastic). Can I cut the end off so that the throttle will slide further up the bar by the ½ inch or so more so that I can keep both sides even? Will this interfere with the operation of the throttle? The grip is a drag style, which is foam but it is heavy enough to keep it's shape, so I don't think it would actually touch the bar beyond the end of the throttle.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2006, 08:06 PM.

I think so

If I understand your question (and I think I do), it will work fine. I had the same dilemma on a HD FXRS because I put on some custom grips shortly after I bought it. I cut the sleeve off and it worked perfectly for the 10 years I owned it. I don't think you'll have any problem at all!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese
      If I understand your question (and I think I do), it will work fine. I had the same dilemma on a HD FXRS because I put on some custom grips shortly after I bought it. I cut the sleeve off and it worked perfectly for the 10 years I owned it. I don't think you'll have any problem at all!
      Thanks for the reply. We'll see how it goes when my new bars arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese
        Chucky,

I just got done installing the new bars and grips. I ended up not cutting it. I just kept the grip on the left side off the edge by the same amount of overhang and it worked fine. The grips are pretty thick and stiff so you really can't tell that it's not flush up againts the bar end.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X