Loud stock exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud stock exhaust

I've tried to search but haven't really found the answer.

1981 GS850GL
    40k miles on ODO

Picked up the bike in the fall, Just disassembled and cleaned the carbs, tank, changed oil, adjusted clutch cable. The throttle cable looks new. Stock Exhaust system.

So starts, runs, hmmmm, take it for a ride, damn this thing is loud.

I took it out a couple of times and rode in different conditions, stopped at some peoples place to get their opinion, it's just loud. I've had bikes with aftermarket exhausts, most weren't this loud all the time, none were this loud stock.

The stock airbox and air filter is in excellent condition.

I see the mufflers are off a gs750. Musta been replaced at some point, but it appears the 750/850 mufflers are interchangeable parts. No apparent leaks/breaks.....

Can the stock mufflers be repacked ? I don't know if they where packed from the factory and/or steel baffles. These don't look modifed/hacked with, I don't see how someone could.

Any help would be appeciated, I wanted to go for some easy rides, but I find myself short shifting and concentrating more on the sound...not the ride.

The baffles have probably been removed. Baffles in these bikes are really quiet, especially the smaller ones. My 750 has no baffles, and I have to take it easy around town. 8-[

Comment

With stock pipes, I think you have to cut them open to repack them.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The mufflers on my 750 have never been modified, but the Baffles are gone inside. It is really loud! Just ask Jethro! hehehehe

I have thought about opening mine up with a holesaw and welding some new baffles in, but I need to learn to weld first!

Comment

Someone has cut the guts out.

A stock 850 is a stealth machine -- very quiet and sneaky.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Darn, I was afraid of those answers.

Anbody got take off mufflers collecting dust in their garage ?? With baffles intact...

I think I could pull the complete exhaust, take off the crossover, and push packing down the 2 & 3 pipes to the mufflers.

Anobody ever try such a thing ? Or I am I just gonna end up plugging my mufflers ?

Comment

hey, there's always the ol' Harley muffler trick . . . you can't beat free mufflers to solve a muffler problem

Comment

Originally posted by brsacjab

I think I could pull the complete exhaust, take off the crossover, and push packing down the 2 & 3 pipes to the mufflers.

Anobody ever try such a thing ? Or I am I just gonna end up plugging my mufflers ?
                That ain't gonna work man. If you've ever taken apart a muffler, you'd see why.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by akier
                  ol' Harley muffler trick . . . you can't beat free mufflers to solve a muffler problem
                  That sounds like my price range, but what is the trick ? 8-[

Comment

I have a full stock exhaust from my 82 850L. It was really quite. Its just laying in the barn. Its in OK-good condition. I took it off my bike at 22000 miles.
                    Not sure what its worth, make an offer if your interested.
                    Eric

Comment

I've heard people say that a loud exhast is good because If other drivers can hear you they much more likely to notice you.

Comment

YOu might be able to get slip on replacement mufflers from jc whitney.
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by justarider
                          I've heard people say that a loud exhast is good because If other drivers can hear you they much more likely to notice you.

They may notice you, but not in a good way.

Loud pipes just upset the neighbors.

Learn to look and be aware, and you'll be ok.
                          Keith
                          -------------------------------------------
                          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by justarider

They may notice you, but not in a good way.

Loud pipes just upset the neighbors.

Learn to look and be aware, and you'll be ok.

Also the loud is behind you. In front,(where trouble is) it's much more quiet. They don't hear you coming as much as they hear you going.

Comment

Working...
                            X