Gasket Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket Questions

I have a new Susuki 80 GS1000GT cylinder base gasket and it has two gray stips of sometihning on it on one side around the cam chain area. Which side is up? I couldnt see any markings. When should I use or not use gasket goop? Which is the best gasket goop to use?
    Thanks
    Rob T

Re: Gasket Questions

If the gasket is symmetrical and any locater pins are symmetrical, it probably will not matter. If this be the case, then as a general rule, I normally install the gasket with any special markings facing up.

On gasket goop: There has been some discussion on another thread on this.
    I normally VERY lightly smear a little engine oil on all gaskets and I have never had a sealing problem by doing this. A point brought up is that oil can break down fiber gaskets and some people do not use my method, Some people prefer to install them dry. Still others smear the thinnest, lightest possible coating of silicone sealer on the gaskets before installing them. To my mind, a big negative to gooping a gasket is that any strings, or globs that ooze out can get into the oil passages and cause a clog. For this reason, I will never use a large enough amount of any gasket sealer that will allow it to ooze no matter how much the surfaces are tightened. This is not a problem if you use a LIGHT coating of oil. I would choose between the oil method and the silicone method. If using silicone, be POSITIVE that the film is thin enough that nothing can be squeezed out when you tighten things down. Clogged oil passages are BAD news.

Earl

Originally posted by Robt
    I have a new Susuki 80 GS1000GT cylinder base gasket and it has two gray stips of sometihning on it on one side around the cam chain area. Which side is up? I couldnt see any markings. When should I use or not use gasket goop? Which is the best gasket goop to use?
    Thanks
    Rob T
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I just finished tearing down my 1100 to nuts and bolts - split the cases, etc. Some parts were difficult to dissasemble to say the least. I can't imagine how you would get some parts apart with gasket cement on them. Automotive engines are primarily cast iron. You can pry on them without major problems. You can't pry on your Suzuki.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I have also talked about this with a friend who has re-built motors as well and he likes vasaline. I have seen that mentioned as well in the other thread. I think I'll use oil or vasaline when I get to putting my motor back together. (Hopefully, soon as the rest of the gaskets come in).
        Rob T

Comment

Gasket questons

Guys I've always used (don't laugh it works) Chap Stick on my gaskets. You can use them over and over as long as you dont tear them.

Comment

Re: Gasket questons

Inquiring minds want to know. What flavor do you use?
            :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by sexton7z
            Guys I've always used (don't laugh it works) Chap Stick on my gaskets. You can use them over and over as long as you dont tear them.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X