Fork Spring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Spring Question

I was wondering if inserting a spacer in into the forks with the stock springs would do any good. I assume that the progressive replacement springs are an improvement because they are stiffer. So would compressing the stock springs make an improvement in the suspension? I know that it would not be the same as the progressives, I am just looking for a realitively inexpensive way to get more out of what I have.

Adam

If the springs are not springing as they should, then no.
    Al that will do is compress the spring and not allow it to rebound as well or compress to absorb a bump.

Changing the oil alone may improve it some, but if the bike drops or sags when you sit on it, or just the weight of the bike, time to consider new springs.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Longer spacers would increase the preload and stiffen the springs, but they can't cure a spring that's too soft. The improvement you'd get would be marginal at best. But if you're looking for a quick, cheap short term fix to buy some time to get better springs (e.g., Progressives), go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by akreider
        I was wondering if inserting a spacer in into the forks with the stock springs would do any good. I assume that the progressive replacement springs are an improvement because they are stiffer. So would compressing the stock springs make an improvement in the suspension? I know that it would not be the same as the progressives, I am just looking for a realitively inexpensive way to get more out of what I have.

Adam
        No, inserting a spacer wouldn't be a good solution. This just increases spring preload and initial stiffness while decreasing suspension travel, but doesn't affect an unsatisfactory spring rate. The fix for unsatisfactory springs (usually too soft) is to replace them with better quality springs. The name, "progressive springs" does not relate to social policies, but to the compression qualities of the spring. A progressive spring starts compressing relatively easy, but the farther the spring compresses the stiffer it gets, i.e., progressively stiffer. The OEM springs are what is called "single rate springs". That is, the same spring rate applies thoughout the travel of the spring. A 100 lb. single rate spring compresses one inch when 100 lbs. is applied, and two inches when 200 lbs. are applied. A progressive spring might require only 75 lbs. to compress the first inch, but 200 lbs. to compress the second inch.

A progressive spring is not better because it is stiffer, per se, but because it actively adapts to changing compression loads in a progressively variable manner rather than a linear manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
          No, inserting a spacer wouldn't be a good solution. This just increases spring preload and initial stiffness while decreasing suspension travel, but doesn't affect an unsatisfactory spring rate. The fix for unsatisfactory springs (usually too soft) is to replace them with better quality springs. The name, "progressive springs" does not relate to social policies, but to the compression qualities of the spring. A progressive spring starts compressing relatively easy, but the farther the spring compresses the stiffer it gets, i.e., progressively stiffer. The OEM springs are what is called "single rate springs". That is, the same spring rate applies thoughout the travel of the spring. A 100 lb. single rate spring compresses one inch when 100 lbs. is applied, and two inches when 200 lbs. are applied. A progressive spring might require only 75 lbs. to compress the first inch, but 200 lbs. to compress the second inch.

A progressive spring is not better because it is stiffer, per se, but because it actively adapts to changing compression loads in a progressively variable manner rather than a linear manner.
          VERY well put!
          I just wanted to add that new progressive fork springs can be quite expensive! If you are a poor college student like me just looking for a quick fix to finish up the riding season, then do like I did. Go to a hardware store and have them cut you a few pairs of 1" PVC spacers. I cut mine at 1/2", 1", 1 1/2", and 2". I think I ended up using the 1 1/2" spacers with washers at both ends, placing them right under my fork caps. make sure you do a good fork oil change while you're at it. I will eventually change my springs when I get some money in my pocket and when the weather is a little crappier outside, if you know what I mean.. The spacers helped a lot and the front end doesn't slouch or dive as bad while braking, but it's only a temporary fix.

Comment

Just hope you avoid a large bump, since you have effectively reduced the total travel, hitting a bump may well cause your arms to be 'thrown free' of the ahndlebars upon impact with a large bump and effectively lose control easier...please be careful!

Comment

Working...
            X