X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running problems

GS550L Custom US import
    1980 V
    k&n's (with electrical tape around them?????)

its a long story but i will try to be brief

i had a car accident and couldnt ride my bike due to injury, and a friend was up the swanny with no transport so i (stupidly) lent them my bike, they were supposed to have got it tuned etc and done a respray on it as a way of a thankyou.

well several months go by and eventually i just go over there and take my bike back, its paintwork is still the same and it runs like... well a hairdryer has more umph.

im not experienced with this sort of thing, but i can change things like chain and sprockets, and general maintenance

i can however follow instructions, so if anyone has any suggestions i will gladly try them out because i am unable to ride my beloved bike and i cant get a bike shop round her to be remotely interested in it, as soon as i tell them the age they suck air in through their teeth and say no way.

So far ive learnt that the reason for the tape on the k&ns is that a previous owner would have put the new air filters on but not jetted the bike up and therefore had to reduce the air flow with the tape.

i therefore made enquiries as to what jets i would need to put in the carbs to correct this and the local bike shop told me that they had no idea as no one does and couldnt help me????

ive tried to find an original air box but so far no luck but the search does continue.

the symptoms now -

i can get it started and although it struggles it will tick over for a bit

when revved im guessing that at about 3-3.5k it deads out, like a massive flat spot that has no end, it just makes this boar noise.

if anyone knows what jets i need to change, and to what sizes that would be great

oh and what the make of my carbs

oh and its been suggested that the timing could have wandered out, so if anyone has an idiots guide to checking/setting the timing up that would be great

oh yeah and there is this little black turny knob on the near side of the carbs, possibly a mixture or idle adjuster??? couldnt find another one tho

I have checked that the sparks are all good and that petrol is getting through, you can ride her just not over about 30mph total.

sorry im so lame about this, really hoping you can help

chey

The K&Ns will require rejetting, though I dont know to what. You have BS carbs. The black knob is the idle adjustment. If the bike has sat for 2 years without fuel stabilizer the carbs may be gummed up and in need of cleaning. One of the members here did an excellent writeup on how to disassemble and clean BS carbs.

Before you start working with the carbs make sure you have fresh gas and plugs. Youd be amazed at the difference that makes. Then verify that you have spark in all 4 cylinders. You can do this by pulling all 4 leads off, and then connecting a plug to one lead at a time, grounding the plug on the cylinder head, and cranking the engine. You should see a fat blue spark. If youve got spark, go from there.

BTW, welcome to the GSR. I saw your thread in the owners forum, but Ive been up all night and I doubt I could manage 2 posts at once. \\/

Edit::::Carb cleaning link---> http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Comment

Originally posted by chey
      GS550L Custom US import
      1980 V
      k&n's (with electrical tape around them?????)

its a long story but i will try to be brief

i had a car accident and couldnt ride my bike due to injury, and a friend was up the swanny with no transport so i (stupidly) lent them my bike, they were supposed to have got it tuned etc and done a respray on it as a way of a thankyou.

well several months go by and eventually i just go over there and take my bike back, its paintwork is still the same and it runs like... well a hairdryer has more umph.

im not experienced with this sort of thing, but i can change things like chain and sprockets, and general maintenance

i can however follow instructions, so if anyone has any suggestions i will gladly try them out because i am unable to ride my beloved bike and i cant get a bike shop round her to be remotely interested in it, as soon as i tell them the age they suck air in through their teeth and say no way.

So far ive learnt that the reason for the tape on the k&ns is that a previous owner would have put the new air filters on but not jetted the bike up and therefore had to reduce the air flow with the tape.

i therefore made enquiries as to what jets i would need to put in the carbs to correct this and the local bike shop told me that they had no idea as no one does and couldnt help me????

ive tried to find an original air box but so far no luck but the search does continue.

the symptoms now -

i can get it started and although it struggles it will tick over for a bit

when revved im guessing that at about 3-3.5k it deads out, like a massive flat spot that has no end, it just makes this boar noise.

if anyone knows what jets i need to change, and to what sizes that would be great

oh and what the make of my carbs

oh and its been suggested that the timing could have wandered out, so if anyone has an idiots guide to checking/setting the timing up that would be great

oh yeah and there is this little black turny knob on the near side of the carbs, possibly a mixture or idle adjuster??? couldnt find another one tho

I have checked that the sparks are all good and that petrol is getting through, you can ride her just not over about 30mph total.

sorry im so lame about this, really hoping you can help

chey
      You might want to check e-bay and get your hands on a used air box and go back to stock.It would get rid of a lot of headaches when trying to rejet your carbs and be less costly.Shops that sell new bikes dont even want to look at used bikes unless your wanting to trade it in.

Comment

Originally posted by GSstiny
        The K&Ns will require rejetting, though I dont know to what. You have BS carbs. The black knob is the idle adjustment. If the bike has sat for 2 years without fuel stabilizer the carbs may be gummed up and in need of cleaning. One of the members here did an excellent writeup on how to disassemble and clean BS carbs.

Before you start working with the carbs make sure you have fresh gas and plugs. Youd be amazed at the difference that makes. Then verify that you have spark in all 4 cylinders. You can do this by pulling all 4 leads off, and then connecting a plug to one lead at a time, grounding the plug on the cylinder head, and cranking the engine. You should see a fat blue spark. If youve got spark, go from there.

BTW, welcome to the GSR. I saw your thread in the owners forum, but Ive been up all night and I doubt I could manage 2 posts at once. \\/

Edit::::Carb cleaning link---> http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

hi thanks for the reply

ive made sure it has fresh fuel, and lovely big sparks.

my plan was to try and find a guide to cleaning the carbs, i have some carb cleaner ready, thanks for the link. Will get them cleaned and then try her again and update.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
          You might want to check e-bay and get your hands on a used air box and go back to stock.It would get rid of a lot of headaches when trying to rejet your carbs and be less costly.Shops that sell new bikes dont even want to look at used bikes unless your wanting to trade it in.
          ive rung just about everybody, including partfinder and regularly check ebay for an original box, because that was my thinking.

No luck so far, but the search does continue, unfortunately from the responses ive had so far im not holding my breath, and i really do need this bike running as my hubby needs to use it for work as its costing a fortune me driving him all the time

Comment

talk about timing or what, just done the ebay search again before i go out tonight and ive found these, are they right cos ive never seen original ones so have no idea??

Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2006, 10:46 AM.

Comment

talk about timing or what, just done the ebay search again before i go out tonight and ive found these, are they right cos ive never seen original ones so have no idea??

Go to this parts sight and look it up. www.bikebandit.com You will find all the parts there to look at.

Comment

thanks for the link, but i cant seem to find any air box on it for my bike.

i went out and measured the diameter of the air filter ports (dont know proper name) and messaged the dude selling the above and he believes that they will fit, its the first ones ive seen in a year of searching so im gonna take the chance and get them.

Will let you know how i get on, thanks for all the help so far!!!!

Comment

thanks for the link, but i cant seem to find any air box on it for my bike.

i went out and measured the diameter of the air filter ports (dont know proper name) and messaged the dude selling the above and he believes that they will fit, its the first ones ive seen in a year of searching so im gonna take the chance and get them.

Will let you know how i get on, thanks for all the help so far!!!!
                  Try this sight. www.alpha-sports.comThe bike bandit sight has it also, I just checked and its there under air cleaner.fisrt part on the list.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2006, 09:38 PM.

Comment

ah thanks, never thought of it being called that, we just call them air boxes over here, the cleaner or filter is the fabric/material/sponge bit inside

learn something new everyday they say eh!!

Comment

When you search for stuff on Bike Bandit, you have to consider what the SYSTEM NAME is, not just the item. Some things don't seem to make sense where they are located in their diagrams, but you get used to it.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the replacement airbox has arrived this morning and the battery is charged again. Im hoping i have time to give it a quick try before i have to leave for birmingham, ive gotta go there for a few days whilst my mum has her heart op, if not will try when i get back on monday.

dont want ya to think id fixed it so blown ya all out

thanks for the advice so far will update soon

Comment

the replacement airbox has arrived this morning and the battery is charged again. Im hoping i have time to give it a quick try before i have to leave for birmingham, ive gotta go there for a few days whilst my mum has her heart op, if not will try when i get back on monday.

dont want ya to think id fixed it so blown ya all out

thanks for the advice so far will update soon
                          make sure it is on the carbs properly.You may want to put a little wd-4o around the boots to help slide them on the carbs.Also see that your airbox is sealed good and that you oiled the air filter.Also tighten the metal bands down snug around the boots,dont overdo it.They seal better if they are snug not cranked down. You will have to reset your idle cause this will change things and hopefully it will run better.Good luck!

Comment

well after spending the whole afternoon at it we have given up trying to get this airbox onto the carbs.

you have to take the carbs off to get the airbox in, then put the carbs back in, spend ages getting the rubbers on only for them to fall back off straight away, i tiny bit of movement and off it comes.

then there is the metal box that the filter sits in, well if thats already attatched then have no movement to wiggle the airbox onto the carbs if its not then fitting it means movement and apart it all comes again

tried tightening the jubilee clips but there is no lip so they just slide off, there is no doubt a nack to this but between me, my hubby and our best mate we aint found it.

Comment

I don't understand all the problems people have tuning with pods. Buy the proper jet kit, install it according to the instructions and you should be right in the ballpark. A little fine tuning is all that should be needed after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X