Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right place to post -- FORK SPONGY ISSUE

OK - -

So when I rid ethe bike - the front end is a little spongy.
    not a lot , but there is a decent amount of spongy feel to the front end.

Is this where you tell me I might need to check to FORK OIL ??

What causes the Spongy feeling ?

Could be oil level but most likely weak springs. You can try using PVC spacers on top of the springs to add preload. Check the performance section for a topic on changing fork oil for a description of how to set up preload.

Comment

My daughter's 82 550L has air chambers at the top of the forks. The owners manual recommends 7.3 psi. Can't get to 'em without removing the bars, though. If yours has air valves, Id try there first.

Comment

Fork spongy issue

If you in any way pull the forks, have a previously ordered set of Progressive fork springs ready. Put them in, use old springs to make some sort of unique folk art or toss out. You will NOT need air anymore & you will love the ride. Did it to both my bikes, best money I ever spent.

The opinion expressed above is entirely my own,....least I think it is.:-D

DH

Comment

I agree with your opinion, Progressive is the way to go. Cheap and easy to install with great results.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Does this sound like your problem?

Hopefully it will help explain some of the front end problems we've all experienced.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=95992
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
            X