GS650 shaftie gear upgrade??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 shaftie gear upgrade??

I have an '82 gs650l, and I'd like to go on a road trip. However the thought of long straights at 70-75mph at 5500+ rpm is not sounding like fun. What do I need to do (or is there anything I can do) to get a taller gear in the shaft? will another bikes gear swap in and if so, which one?

Thanks - Chris

I don't know of any way to change gears in a shaftie. However, if your carbs are synced there's almost no buzz at 70-75mph. Go and have fun! (I don't know if a larger rear tire is possible)
    Last edited by omaharj; 07-29-2006, 06:54 PM.

Comment

still, 400-500 hundred miles at 5500+ rpm....well thats just gonna get old real quick. I'd like to have a taller final gear. better for those long cruises.

Comment

nothing really possible...

shoulda got a chain
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

What's wrong with hundreds of miles at 5000 rpm? We went from southwest oHIo to Durango, Colorado last year with our '82 850GL. Can't say the trip was without problems, but they were not rpm-related. We hit some really rough roads in Oklahoma and lost a rear turn signal (and mount) when a bouncing luggage rack sheared the mounting bolt. The speedo drive in the front wheel broke. The ignitor died in Colorado, so the bike ended up coming home in a U-Haul. All that is fixed now, and the bike has traveled about 3000 miles so far this year and is going to do another 2500 or so next month.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Bigger rear tire,

You'll drop rpms 250 for every size you jump.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X