broken keys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken keys...

I searched through the forums and I came up with the key code is supposed to be on the face of the lock where you put the key in... problem is, on all the locks there is no code. Where else could it be?

do you have the key parts. it will be stamped on it. the code should be on all the lock covers.

Comment

I have the head, but the cut part isn't there anymore... i'm not seeing any code on the locks at all.

Comment

Did you remove the helmet lock and check the back of it?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

yep... and there's nothing there, well that i can see...

Comment

we have a key smith here in antigo that takes apart a lock and reassembles it for twenty five bucks. but I would opted too go for an eaby key assembly myself, before shelling out that kind of dough. Check your local lock smiths.

and yes the code is stamped right on the bottom of the on the square part of next to the two bolts.

Comment

$14 and taking the helmet lock off was all it cost for 3 keys all filed down by hand...

Comment

Such a deal.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Cool..... 8-)

Comment

On the '83 model year bikes, the key code is on the back of each lock. The easy one to get to is the helmet lock, since you can remove it with the appropriate torx or hex driver even though the "teeth" sort of block the heads of the bolts when the helmet lock is closed.

When I had to get keys cut from the number on the back of my helmet lock, I had to get through 23 years of rust and greasy crud to see the fairly faint three-digit code. I removed the back plate of the lock (held in by screw and tab fittings), washed well with dishwashing liquid to remove the grease, and polished away some of the the rust with Nevr-Dull (any not-too-harsh metal polish should work). The number finally emerged, and I had new keys cut.

Comment

The code is printed on the key but it's longways down on the part that goes into the lock. Dumb...

Comment

Originally posted by devillox View Post
                        yep... and there's nothing there, well that i can see...
                        Take your helmet lock to a locksmith and they will make one for you.Call freedom cycles in Grandview and they will tell you the name of the place thats right by them.

Comment

Replacement

It cost me 80 bucks to have my key replaced. The Key doctor had come to the house saying that he specializes in motorcycle keys.
                          Took him all day. He did take off the helmet lock but still ended up eyeballing it instead. I guess there weren't no code on the back of it.
                          Shame of it is that a week after I paid the 80 bucks someone tried to hiest the bike from my front yard. They damaged the ignition lock in the process. So now I have to replace it anyways. That's my kinda luck...and that is exactly why I wear all the protective gear I can when I ride. The Gods are out to get me.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rocket GS1100 View Post
                            It cost me 80 bucks to have my key replaced. The Key doctor had come to the house saying that he specializes in motorcycle keys.
                            Took him all day. He did take off the helmet lock but still ended up eyeballing it instead. I guess there weren't no code on the back of it.
                            Shame of it is that a week after I paid the 80 bucks someone tried to hiest the bike from my front yard. They damaged the ignition lock in the process. So now I have to replace it anyways. That's my kinda luck...and that is exactly why I wear all the protective gear I can when I ride. The Gods are out to get me.
                            Along with the cagers (well most of them).:-D

Tkae another look at the helmet lock -not that it matters that much now- the numbers are very small.

Comment

I just took the main ignition switch and broken key to a locksmith. Took him 2 hours and cost me 40 bucks to make a new key. He ended up drilling the thing out and cementing it back together. As a bonus, he got the original key working again.

Comment

Working...
                              X