Kreem tank cleaner/liner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kreem tank cleaner/liner

Does anyone have any experience with this product: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=435

My 1982 GS850GL sat for a long time, and I'm about to put freshly dipped and rebuilt carbs back on the bike. Is this product (at $25), a reasonable precaution to take against mucking up shiny carbs with rusty gas? Thanks in advance.

Randy...

Depends on the condition the interior of your tank.
    There has been many posts about this product, try a search!

Check out this stuff as well...
    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2006, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Por 15 is better at a little extra cost. Dan

Comment

I just did a tank with Kreme and I'm not impressed. I spent an entire day turning the tank over and over and it did not seal two pin holes, I had to epoxy the tank on the outside and repaint.

I would look into the por-15 product. The standard Kreme kit is only enough for a 2.5 gallon tank (according to the instructions) so you need to buy two. That is 60 bucks around here.

I'm sure there are others that are satisfied with it, I just happen to one that isn't.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I used it for rust issues, and it worked great. I didn't have any holes I was trying to seal, so I can't speak for that.

Also, the kreme kit I bought (also the small one for bikes) said it would treat up to a 5 gallon tank. $25 bucks from Z1.

Comment

I just did this to my bike a couple of weeks ago, it worked really good, preparation is the key, before using the Kreeme make sure that you get as much of the big rust out as possible. I used a couple of small pieces of chain to rattle around in the tank before I used the tank prep ( let that sit in there for a whole day) then after i did what the directions said for the acutal kreem liner, i let it dry over night and then treated it again, that second time things sealed up really good and the liner is 3-4 times thicker than it was after the first go round. i have been very please with the results, but preparation is the key. good luck

Comment

Originally posted by nichols750
              I just did this to my bike a couple of weeks ago, it worked really good, preparation is the key, before using the Kreeme make sure that you get as much of the big rust out as possible. I used a couple of small pieces of chain to rattle around in the tank before I used the tank prep ( let that sit in there for a whole day) then after i did what the directions said for the acutal kreem liner, i let it dry over night and then treated it again, that second time things sealed up really good and the liner is 3-4 times thicker than it was after the first go round. i have been very please with the results, but preparation is the key. good luck
              Thanks for the tips! I'll have a look at the inside of the tank once it's off. If it ends up needing this treatment, I'll certainly be careful with the prep part.

Randy...

Comment

Not for me...

I wouldn't use any of that stuff... it may work well, and I certainly hope it does. I paid a shop to line my tank and it worked so well that I would never consider doing it any other way. It cost $80 and, to this day, it's like a new, slick finish within my tank...that was 4 1/2 years ago.

Maybe that stuff works good but, Geeeez, I think for 80 bucks, I saved myself a whole lot of potential grief.:?
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I've used Kreem, and that junk pretty much ruined a good tank. Complete worthless garbage, IMHO. Many here have also had problems with Kreem. I don't know why it is so much easier to find, but it sure as heck doesn't work much of the time.

Por15 is much better stuff -- there are a lot of satisfied users, and the coating actually works as advertised. Por15 also sells a stripper to remove the remnants of a krappy kreem coating.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I've used Kreem on two different occasions: a GPz900 tank, and the tank on my Kat1100 (current bike). Each time it's worked well for me, but I first had to block any pin holes with epoxy putty from the outside. I was also very thorough with the tank prep., but it sounds to me that other folks have likewise been thorough, but still had a bad experience.

I have since *heard* that Kreem can't really handle alcohol added in the fuel, either in fuel additives or in the fuel itself (ie. added by the fuel manufacturer/ distributor).

Unlike Kreem, I've heard only good reports from people who have used POR15... so I'll be trying that next time I need a tank liner, I think.

Comment

after trying RUSTOL as an easy, yet expensive ($50.00 for one liter and distributed exclusively through Sudco)) with ultimately dismal results i had my tank treated with POR15. worked great, tank looks 100% new inside. it gets my vote.

Comment

If I'm gonna have trouble with the kreeme, would it have shown up right away? Some family friends have used the stuff and swear by it, I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by using it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                          I wouldn't use any of that stuff... it may work well, and I certainly hope it does. I paid a shop to line my tank and it worked so well that I would never consider doing it any other way. It cost $80 and, to this day, it's like a new, slick finish within my tank...that was 4 1/2 years ago.

Maybe that stuff works good but, Geeeez, I think for 80 bucks, I saved myself a whole lot of potential grief.:?
                          Gotta say I would have gone that way too . I did the por-15 it took two treatments to get things sealed up and I followed the steps to the best of my ability. It did the job though with a fair amount of work involved.

Comment

I think that part of the problem with using any tank-lining product -- be it Kreem or POR-15 or whatever -- it's a potentially messy job where if you get one step in the process not quite right, then the whole job is sunk.

Besides, there's something unnatural about coating a surface you never get to physically touch, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by quiktrp
                              If I'm gonna have trouble with the kreeme, would it have shown up right away? Some family friends have used the stuff and swear by it, I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by using it.
                              Actually the problem appears down the road when the stuff gets brittle and starts cracking and coming off in sheets. Then your tank rusts again and you need to find another solution. Fortunately it is easily removed by a radiator shop or with the solution that came with the Kreeme kit. This happened on my 81 1100 tank about 4 years after doing the kreeme kit.

If it's just surface rust in the tank, I recently used phosphric acid to neutalize it in my tank by the advice of a few others on the forum. Worked awesome. Get BHER Concrete Etcher at Home Depot for $24 a gallon. a 50/50 mix with water, slosh it around for a few hours and drain.

If you have pinholes to deal with, have a radiator shop line the inside of the tank, or ask Argonsagas about the place in Canada that does a total tank restoration.
                              Currently bikeless
                              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                              X