New gaskets that leak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New gaskets that leak.

You carefully clean the gasket surfaces,make sure there are no 'nicks',put on new gasket and properly torque,and you get a !#*#! leak. Drives me nuts! Cam covers,cases,cylinder base,I'm actually starting to expect it. Not a dripping leak,but what some call 'sweating'. I wonder if the gaskets we buy sometimes sit on the shelves too long and 'harden'.I've always been afraid to apply a sealant because even a small bead may get into motor and clog an oil passage up. Many others seem to agree.But when we work on cars we liberally use sealants.
    Does anybody recommend something that works AND allows you to take the part off later without a major battle? Thanks, KK.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Whenever I put a heavy duty gasket into position I give both sides a finger-smear coat of molybdenum grease. It's heavy and tacky enough to stay in position and fill any tiny leaks, has good temperature capacity, and it doesn't glue the parts together. I usually have to wipe away the first misting after the motor has been run, then its clean.

There are also dedicated gasket sealants that don't glue.

Kim

Comment

Thanks for reply. When looking for 'Molybdenum' grease,is that what it says on front of product,or do I have to read fine print/ingredients?
      Also,what are 'dedicated' gasket sealants?Any particular/popular brand?
      Thanks again, KK.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I have found that most newly installed gaskets that do have a weep or tiny leak will swell and stop leaking within 100 miles.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I sure wish mine would. I never have such luck.

Comment

Working...
          X