Spline grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spline grease?

Any special recommendations on greasing the splines when putting on the rear wheel on a shafter??

yes grease it.
    Honda puts out a grease high in Molly content that is very good for that application.
    or you can use a automotive Molly grease rated for high temp/ high pressure.

Comment

I found some Belray waterproof bearing grease to use.
      Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

I suppose any grease is better than none at all but the manual calls for Molybdenum Disulfide grease specifically. I got a tube called from the local Honda dealer called "Moly 60 Paste". If you search the threads here you'll find explanations as to why the Moly paste is important to use. I don't think standard wheel bearing grease should be used on the shaftie's splines.

Comment

Thanks, I did a search and I understand why the need for Moly grease.

This is the reason;

quoted from http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Shaft.html#Gears

"The drive splines get surprisingly hot. Additionally, there's a lot of pressure on the splines and a lot of back and forth sliding motion. Any liquid type of grease will quickly be squeezed out of the splines, and leave you with no protection. The first time you remove your rear tire, you will likely find that the factory grease has dried out completely and solidified into something which does not even remotely resemble a lubricant. Actually, if it's a good Moly grease, it's still doing its job in this form, but it's not a pretty sight."

"Honda specifies a spline grease which is 60% molybdenum disulfide ("moly"). Moly is a dry lubricant which bonds to the metal surfaces, offering lubrication properties even when the parts have squeezed everything liquid out. A lot of greases now say "Moly" on the container, but you must be careful about this. Ford and Caterpillar specify moly greases for particular applications, but the requirement is for 3% moly, not even close to the 60% requirement of Honda. It's not enough to buy a moly grease, what you really want is basically dry moly in a grease-like carrier which makes it easier to apply."

Comment

Moly 60 or its equivalent is the best thing long term. Anyhting else would need redoing before a tyre chnage.

Comment

It was less than $10 at a nearby Honda dealer for a lifetime supply of 60% moly paste.

Don't let anyone sell you some super-synthetic whale spit magic grease. Get the 60% moly stuff.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X